Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Perfect Sandwich

So it all makes sense now. It's all about balance. Take for example, this rather unassuming Turkey Club...

You would never suspect that the best turkey club sandwich that I have ever had would come from a modest non-descript deli on a hidden street corner off of El Camino Real in Palo Alto. For 2 years now, the Driftwood Deli's turkey club sandwich (on sliced sourdough, untoasted, with swiss) has been my defacto go-to sandwich of choice, when all else fails to inspire an appetite. And so I finally figured out why this is so...balance. The flavors aren't competing for each other, vying for the knockout title. No, they all work together. Not too much mayo, just enough so that you can barely taste it. Bacon cooked to a crisp but not so salty to mask the mild turkey. The lettuce...a simple light green -- without any crunchiness (that's what the bacon is for). And then the tomato...fresh and soft, but not too thick or crunchy. And the piece-de-resistance...two slices of the softest, freshest sourdough. Mmmmm...mmmm... What's amazing is that without fault, the sandwich is always spot on. Consistent to a T. No matter how many times I go there. I think it's because the people that make the sandwiches are the same 2 ladies, day in, day out. Whereas those Mollie Stone sandwiches reek of high-turnover and in-your-face volume: 2 inch high slabs of salami. 1/2 inch thick cuts of tomato. Rough, dry bread. Blech.

And so goes everything else in life. Last night I paid a visit to see Jalen for the first time (mommy didn't want her picture taken so here's one with the proud father). It's so amazing holding her in my arms -- tiny little featherweight bundle of joy, processing the world for the first time. Anyways...the happy parents and I got to talking about balance (strangely enough), and that constant struggle in trying to achieve the right balance between career and family. It really is what everything comes down to -- how successful you are in achieving that balance in life, whether it be juggling your various hobbies & activities or choosing between time with your family or a job with that puts you on the fast track. How's that for a barometer of success: how well you maintain those priorities in life, whether it be your dream job at your dream company, or making a commitment to raise your daughters to be future positive contributors to the human race.

So that's my downfall...not focusing on achieving balance. For years, I let my career rule my life, making it a priority over things...like social activities. Exercise. Travel. Hobbies. The sad thing is, I see it in my employees. I see a younger version of myself, full of spunk, ambition and dedication. Putting in long hours and reveling in those little victories when code compiles, when products ship. But making huge sacrificies. I already know of at least two people that I worked with who have just about completely burned out. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Maybe I should buy 'em a turkey club sandwich.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

At 12/02/2005 10:26 AM, Blogger bev said...

i really like Little Lucca. Tiny shack of a deli on El Camino in SSF that's been around since I was little.

 
At 12/02/2005 11:13 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

I love Little Lucca's!!! But hot damn, those sammiches are freakin' huge! My favorite is their Wild Turkey.

 
At 12/02/2005 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great post. I like the reflective humor of your writing...keep it up!

 
At 12/02/2005 3:58 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Thanks, anonymous! This is just a hobby of mine that I get a kick out of...I'm trying to work on my "inner voice", trying different styles, etc. Please feel free to criticize, I welcome good feedback on my approach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home