Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Got Cars on the Brain

There was this great commercial a while back where they showed this guy growing a tiny Volkswagen out of his head. Basically, it was something about how he was distracted by the itch to want to get a car... So I think I really need to find myself a nice wife, buy a house, grow some kids, and own a lawn mower. That'll force me to act my age and stop spending all my time contemplating ways to blow money down a pit of four wheeled excessiveness...cuz for the past few weeks I've been really distracted by cars again. My beloved G20 has given me over 3 years of multi-link front wheel drive handling goodness, racking up 100K miles in the process (now at 211K). But for some reason, I think it's time to upgrade. Or at least change the image that putzing around in a mid nineties 4 door 4 banger gives. And the S2000 sits patiently in the cold concrete garage, quietly awaiting its eventual transfer into another owner (with luck, s/he will be an aficionado).

What is distracting me? Thoughts of the E34 M5 that I've always wanted since 1995...pictures of which adorned the flourescent-lit interior office of my first software development job -- a materialistic motivational force to move along in my career. And so I wade through Autotrader ads, quietly ignoring logic in face of the insanity of dropping (at least) 12 large on a thirteen year-old hand-built four door super saloon with (at least) a hundred thousand hard-earned miles on the race-inspired 24 valve straight six S38 motor. Crazy? Right-o. But at this point, who cares? Thousand dollar service inspections? Bah. If I'm going to feel passionate about something, might as well go all out, eh?

So that takes care of the daily driver...now I need a weekend toy. Something cool to pick up hot chicks in. (hahahaha -- I felt like a teenager typing that, and yet, it still was strangely satisfying) The NSX has always been at the top of my list. In Silverstone. With the 6-spoke rims. Did you know that NSX stands for New Sports eXperimental? Now that would be a cool car. But it's a bit on the slow side (for a supercar), and a turbo has always been on my drool list. So there's always the Turbo Z. Or a MK IV Supra (but I never really liked Toyotas -- too pedestrian and soul-less for my tastes). And NSX's are expensive.

Then there's always that big black demon looming over my shoulder -- #37 on the to-do list of Ernie's life...go racing. I've been talking, talking, talking, talking, about doing something competitive, out on the tracks -- full-on, red-mist, wheel-to-wheel racing. And the apple of my eye at this current time is the SpecE30. For those of you playing along at home, no, it's no longer the SE-R cup...that was so 6 months ago. I want a cheap, rear wheel drive series. And the SpecE30 fits the bill nicely; besides, the Miata Cup (although a great series) is a little too unmanly for my tastes. :) I could pick up a cheap E30 for a couple thou, drop another ten grand in it to get it raceworthy over the next year, and be off and running in 2007. (Assuming that I have ten grand to spend on this type of a crazy venture).

But how am I going to get beautiful women to go ride in a yuppie beemer from the late eighties?

:)

[And no, I don't really believe that expensive flashy cars will get you on hot dates. Of course not. It's about your personality, your values, how you treat women, how you act, and all that jazz. But it sure doesn't hurt! hehehhehe]

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 11/23/2005 2:49 PM, Blogger Randy said...

hahahah i remember that commercial! actually, that commercial reminds me of myself...with a white evo 9 growing on my forehead. ha!

 
At 11/23/2005 8:44 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

Dood, I always say that guys doesn't necessarily like nice cars, they just know that women LIKES nice cars. That's the reason to get 'em.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home