Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Pagsasarili

Spending a few days in America's Finest City this past weekend gave me an opportunity to revisit a few of those places that my restless spirit haunted in the past. Throughout the process, I was occassionally reminded of another place and time; digging up feelings and thoughts that I left long ago on a quest for some romantic ideal of what my life should have been. And yet, after some six years of life in the bay area, this Southern California suburban boy has cycled back to just that -- an awkward solitary soul roaming through the concrete highways, camera in hand.

My head has been filled with The Killers' Change Your Mind, a track that I just can't get out of my head -- hints of New Order's Technique album, and heck...I swear there's even inklings of Book of Love in there (if you can believe that). It's been playing on repeat in the car since early last week, a strangely warm day where I found myself on my lunch break in a weird deja vu mode out on Page Mill Road with the windows & sunroof open, sun beating down. Just me and my car, alone with the music, the weather, and my thoughts about my career...not too unlike those sunny days working out of La Jolla, fresh out of college, thinking: "is this all that there is?"

I'm grateful for my brother's Snow Patrol recommendation, which I'm finding to be another good echo board for my current state of moodiness...

So after the disappointment of the Friday gloominess, Saturday ended up turning into a beautiful partly cloudy day, finding myself in the tourist trap of Balboa Park. It's been years since I've visited the grounds, and it's a "target rich environment" for anyone armed with a camera -- I was hoping to capture images that would try to express the constraint of the 6x6 square. I failed miserably. :(

Nevertheless, the walk did well to consume the late-night calorie-fest that was Valentine's extra special pollo asado burrito (and large horchata). Next up, the beach...

On a whim, I decided to return to Torrey Pines State Beach, where I found myself a frequent visitor during college on post-failed-midterm ventures, and late afternoon lecture breaks...oh, the days of angst and uncertainty as an insecure asian in his early twenties. If you look hard enough, you can see that guy parked in the parents' old hand-me-down-car on the side of the road, feebly attempting to cram for that weekly quiz -- mind drifting in and out of concentration, distracted by the dolphins riding the crashing waves in front of him. Turning around, he sees both ends of a rainbow that spans the entire length of the valley floor; an Amtrak Coaster crosses underneath, speeding its passengers southward to their next destination.

I miss that feeling you get heading southbound on North Torrey Pines Road out of Del Mar, coming down the hill, cliffs on the left, trees on the right, and right when you cross Carmel Valley Road, it opens up into this great expanse of tributaries, marshland, beach, cliffs in the distance covered with wind-blown Pinus Torreana, and a pair of steel rails cutting a swath through it all.

It's so easy to burn so much gas roaming the miles of coastline down there.

And people thought I was insane racking up thirty thousand miles a year. Maybe they were right?

Eh.
...I could care less.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 11/30/2005 12:13 PM, Blogger ojpt said...

that 40mm is a monster lens! Great looking pics ernie. You really should print some of these. I'll do the color correction for you if you give me a print =). I use a lab called whcc.com which has great prices.

I've also heard a rumor that Longs will print 120 film at 8X8 for $4 or 4X4 for 30 cents.

 
At 11/30/2005 12:23 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

The fisheye shots were the 30mm. The wide-angles were the 40. The 30 definitely doesn't work well when firing into the sun -- I got a mild bit of flare on some of the shots. But yeah, that Carl-Zeiss glass was just downright beautiful. Wish I had five grand to blow on this stuff. :)

Thanks for the kind words, I definitely got really lazy with the color correction. Not to mention that I have sucky hardware and software. But I noticed that those strange pixellation artifacts went away when I scanned at 1200dpi instead of 300dpi. I didn't notice any difference between 1200dpi & 4800dpi for web use.

Wish I had a Mac + 30" Cinema Display...But my pictures still aren't worth that kind of money; I'd rather blow it on large wheeled objects that consume fossil fuels, expel poisonous toxic gases, and make lots of noise. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home