Thursday, November 17, 2005

No Teeth in the Shark Tank

According to the wikipedia:
The use of "Canuck" parallels that of some other potentially offensive nicknames, that is, when used by the people it names — Canadians in this case — it is usually acceptable. But when used by an outsider — in this case particularly American strangers — it can be easily misinterpreted and deemed as insulting one's heritage. Although it is not as severe as most ethnic slurs, some consider it one.
Hm, I did not know that. Well now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

I had an absolute blast last night at the Shark Tank watching my very first hockey game. I sure wish the crowd was louder though. Tina tells me that the Canadian hockey games get pretty rowdy -- maybe one day I'll get to watch a game up there. Besides, I miss Canadian beer off tap...although the Tidehouse Amber was pretty good here, it sure ain't no Molson. And that's another thing: Prices! Sheez...I forgot how expensive sporting events are. The last thing I watched was the Giants at PacBell park 3 years ago and I don't remember beer being that expensive. For me to get my buzz on, it cost me $22.50 for three cups. Add to that the burger ($5.25) and the fries ($3.75) and that forty bucks I budgeted seemed quite inadequate. Whatever, it was definitely worth it. Especially watching Angelo and Tina talk smack to each other all night -- hehehe. I must admit, that Vancouver team looks pretty strong.

So I think I'll start rooting for the home team. Can't wait to see the next game!
Some tidbits:
  1. It definitely isn't like the video game...not as much checking as I had hoped (my brother and I always check each other all game long hahaha)
  2. I got to see a fight - yay
  3. I got to see a pile on - double yay
  4. Typical California fans leaving before the game finishes. Sheez...who cares about traffic?
  5. You get a great view even from the upper deck
  6. The Sharks got no Power Play
  7. Garlic fries are gooood.
  8. I really wish the crowd was louder -- I bet playoffs would be better. And you can't make a lot of noise on the concrete floor.
  9. Lots and lots of eye candy at these things -- I need to go to more hockey games! :) "Hi there. You shop at the Gap? I do too...I hear there's a sale this weekend. How 'bout if you and I meet up this weekend?" bwahaha!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

6 Comments:

At 11/17/2005 10:39 AM, Blogger double R said...

go canucks go!

 
At 11/17/2005 10:57 AM, Blogger mrs cruz said...

Hahahaha!! I had GREAT time last night. Those darn Canucks had me on my toes until the very end. It was a good win. So sorry Angelo... Hmmm... there's another Canuck game scheduled in April against San Jose. Maybe Ed and I can drag out both of our kids to watch...

 
At 11/17/2005 11:55 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

(ala homer simpson) hmmmmm, canadian hockey players.... aaarrrggghh, drool, drool...

LG

 
At 11/17/2005 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard its a tradition for Detroit Red Wings fans to throw octopi on to the ice after a big win. Did the fans of the winning team throw anything on to the ice? Do you know of any bizarre hockey fan traditions for the San Jose Sharks?

btw, thanks for welcoming me and not banning me from your blog. much appreciated :o) --anne

 
At 11/17/2005 1:34 PM, Blogger R said...

Next time you guys are up we gotta see a Nucks game at the Garage. Btw, the derogatory use of the word Canuck is like ancient. Our team was named after Jonny Canuck, A WWII cartoon character kinda like your GI Joe. He looked like a lumber jack carrying a gun. I'm glad Tina is schooling you guys on the 'coolest game on earth' hehe. Rhoel.

 
At 11/17/2005 1:44 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Anne, I'm a hockey newbie, so sorry, don't know of any wild traditions -- although it would've been hilarious if they threw sharks on the ice. And even better if we got to throw Canadians on the ice since the Canucks won. ;)

Rhoel, definitely down for some hockey up north at the Garage...maybe if/when the Sharks go up to play? Heheheh -- watch me get my ass kicked by some wild Vancouver fans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home