Monday, April 03, 2006

Thirteen Hours

I couldn't do it.

I honestly thought I could drive seventeen hours non-stop to Vancouver, breaking my old record of 14 hours in a crappy Ford Focus through pouring rain on a Thanksgiving weekend.

Riiiight.

So...here's how not to take a road trip:
  1. Get home at 10:30PM the night before because you went out to dinner, bought a radar detector and a satellite radio
  2. Spend the next hour putting the stock chip back in your car (the previous owner's Dinan chip pings with our crappy oxygenated-MTBE-ified California gas). Randy, what was that rule again about working on your RC car before a race? :)
  3. Spend another couple of hours packing, dealing with the Europe tour travel arrangements, installing the satellite radio (ghetto rig!)
  4. Have a hard time going to sleep because of all that coffee you drank earlier in the day.
  5. End up getting 4 hours of sleep, leaving the house at 7AM instead of the originally planned 5AM.
  6. Find yourself eastbound on the San Mateo bridge about 1/4 of the way through when you look over and see the rent check sitting on the passenger seat (the one you were supposed to drop off before you left)
  7. Waste 40 minutes (and $3) going back to the apartment to drop off item in #6.
  8. Get stuck in a massive hour long traffic jam due to a bad accident on the 5 near Sacramento because you didn't check 511 before you left.
Ah, joy.
But it's all so worth it. After dealing with rain for about 7 hours straight, I lucked into some sun and partly cloudy skies through Oregon. What a gorgeous drive. I wasn't expecting anything like this. I can't wait to see the coast!!

Some snapshots here. Nothing fancy, as I was in a rush.

I'm so glad I got that radar detector. Saved my ass twice already. Doesn't have those handy directional arrows that the V1 has, but those arrows aren't worth the $100 price premium.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

7 Comments:

At 4/04/2006 12:02 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I would get the one with the blue display if it mached the interior of my car ;-)

Glad you got there safely, but couldn't you have fed-exed the check?

Having fastrak helps too!

 
At 4/04/2006 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll see you Focus and raise you a 929! When I came back for my car, I made it from Greg's house in RWC to my house in West Seattle in just over 12 hours. No radar detector and a slipping trans! I figured the cops didn't believe an old beater Mazda could go that fast so they were checking their radars as I disappeared over the horizon..

It took my 15 hours last new years in my 850, mainly because of the moving waterfall the the locals in Oregon like to call a 'rain shower'. Three inches of water on the highway can be very disconcerting..

Cheers
J

 
At 4/04/2006 12:31 PM, Blogger bev said...

glad you made it! did you get my text request? :)

 
At 4/04/2006 4:43 PM, Blogger Randy said...

don't forget my vancouver sticker!!! hahha yeh, the RC car rule. i know how you feel.

so you didn't ger the valentine1??? maybe i'll to pick one up...then you can borrow it. get back safely so we can do a photo shoot with the evo, s2k, and the m5.

 
At 4/04/2006 5:18 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Damn, Jamie!!! Redwood City to Seattle in 12 hours?!? With a slipping tranny?? Jeezus. The 14 hours I was referring to was the drive back from San Diego to San Francisco -- normally an EIGHT hour drive.

Bev, I did get your text. I'll bring some back.

Randy, I'm reconsidering the V1 now...I really liked those arrows and the bogey counter.

 
At 4/05/2006 12:45 PM, Blogger bev said...

thank you!!! i'll pay you back. too bad i didn't give you my canadian $$

 
At 4/06/2006 5:20 PM, Blogger R said...

Yo, sorry I couldn't chill yesterday. Next time we can plan better so we have time for the ballet. Rhoel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home