Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Airborne

Sometime a few days back, somewhere in the vast expanse of air that I was breathing, there was this itsy bitsty teenee weenee microbe flying carefree...deep within its tough outer shell lay dormant a deadly viral payload. In a strange twist of fate, I unwittingly came into contact with such virus and yesterday found myself feeling those telltale warning signs of an impending illness: sore throat, runny nose, aching muscles, sluggish demeanor.

Hm...What was the incubation period of the common cold again?

In an effort to combat the cold, I went home early yesterday, skipped my usual afternoon workout (frustrating!) and took a nap before heading down to Santa Clara to pick up some car stuff my brother bought. Upon hearing of my growing cold, two different friends of mine on two different occassions advised me: "Airborne!" The disbeliever that I am, I tried to fight it off with more sleep. Wouldn't you know it...I woke up this morning feeling 10x worse. Desperate times call for desperate measures -- I slept in all morning before joining an old friend of mine for lunch at Maru Ichi Ramen House (my first ever ramen house -- good stuff!) and ended up not going into work until 3PM (after a doctor's appointment). Then immediately went home, but quickly realized I had no food! So ended up going out in the freeeezing cold again to load up on soup, TheraFlu, Tylenol Cold, and a tea kettle at Bed Bath & Beyond...

It took me 30 freakin' minutes to buy a tea kettle. I'm guessing it must've been my tired , sick and hungry state of mind. Or mabye it's because they had at least sixty freakin' brands and models there! I circled the store twice while contemplating giving up and going to Target or IKEA. But I finally caved and picked up what seems like a reasonable one. And I don't care how nice that stainless steel Calaphon whistling tea kettle with solid aluminum base was, but it is not worth sixty bucks.

So standing at the checkout counter, what did I see off to my right, but a big huge wall of little tiny boxes of Airborne, arranged 15 rows high and 25 columns wide, looming over my sick decrepit old body, mocking my decision to "fight it".

Grrr.

And by the way -- don't go shopping at 99 Ranch when you're tired, cold, sick and hungry. You're libel to pick up something without reading the Nutrition Facts label:
Look closely... 610 calories. 250 from fat. 1.7 grams of salt.


And in other news...Today I told my boss I'm quitting. I'm definitely not looking forward to the coming days having to face my coworkers...my friends that I've come to know and love for the past four years of my life. But I feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do at my company, the leader in virtualization software. It's time for this weary soul to take flight -- airborne -- and land myself in greener pastures, at a job filled with brand new challenges in the world's #2 wireless handset maker.

The time off will do me good. If the weather holds up, I'll take a couple of road trips to spend some much needed quality time with my 'Bahn-storming four door...one to destinations due North, along the coast [finally!!] ...a trip I've been wanting to do since high school... oooh, I could revisit Seattle & Vancouver! And another due East -- to catch the cherry blossoms. And maybe one to the Southwest to see the Slot Canyons. And maybe catch a quick flight to Tokyo. And maybe hop on a plane to New York & Toronto to finally stop paying lip service to a promise I made to my cousins nearly 17 years ago. And... And...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

7 Comments:

At 3/14/2006 11:03 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

We still goin' to the sharks game this thursday? Your ass better not be like me 2 weeks ago in L.A.

 
At 3/15/2006 9:34 AM, Blogger double R said...

sounds like there is going to be a lot of change in your life.

you should come and visit us in vancouver, especially if you like cherry blossoms...:)

check it out.

http://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/

 
At 3/15/2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I simply opt for Tylenol Cold and an excessive intake of fluids when I feel a cold or flu-like symptoms coming on. I'm not so sure about that now-quite-popular "Airborne" health remedy (note: which was created by a school teacher who was tired of catching colds from her students). I guess its use of several vitamins, minerals, & herbs would seem likely as effective as any OTC medication. Perhaps, it could also be simply due to its placebo-like effect. Who knows...whatever works right?!

Anyway, hopefully you'll feel better soon. Have someone fix you up a batch of good ole chicken soup and a steaming cup of genmai-cha.

BTW, you'll love your road trip along the North coast. I did...it was awesome and serenely captivating :o)
--anne

 
At 3/15/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Whoa. Didn't know there were cherry blossoms in Vancouver! Definitely gonna try to check it out.

Thanks for the well-wishes, Anne. Later tonight I'm going to try to see if I can make some homemade chicken soup. I'm definitely feeling a little better this morning, so hopefully I'll have shaken this bug by Friday.

 
At 3/15/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger bev said...

nice tea kettle! i love kitchen gadgets.

 
At 3/15/2006 1:02 PM, Blogger laragitara said...

two words...
Ginger Tea.

take fresh ginger, slice up (you can leave the skin on), put in pot of water, boil, about 10 minutes, add honey (raw honey is better). whatever is left, store in fridge for later use.

and yes, do try acupuncture, acupressure and chinese herbs.

 
At 3/16/2006 1:28 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Hey, I actually tried Ginger Tea...earlier tonight I was sitting in a coffee shop in Potrero Hill waiting for a friend to get home and saw ginger tea on the menu. Tried it (with honey) and it worked wonders. Thanks for the tip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home