Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Pera O Bayong?

Funny. There's only 2 things that I do when I visit my parents:
  1. Eat
  2. Watch TV

I arrived Tuesday night after an all-day drive (the weather out here was GORGEOUS!)...What did I do? Eat a bowl of pancit and had a girl scout cookie, snacked on some turkey jurkey and ate more of my fruit & nut trail mix. All this while vegetating in front of the TV... My parents recently added TFC to their cable lineup (among other things) and I so want it now. We ended up watching Wowowee...what was interesting was that earlier tonight, my Mom was in charge of the remote control. So she was flipping back and forth between Wowowee and Deal or No Deal; my brain hurt from jumping back and forth over 3000 miles in a matter of milliseconds. It really put my life in perspective -- here are people -- real people -- trying to sing and dance, having the time of their lives on this game show when they have so little. I wasn't sure how to react, whether to be offended or to be entertained; their lives were downright rough...a woman whose husband left her, with no job, trying to care for a daughter; and another woman who peddled fruits on the street while her husband was a scavenger; one woman whose family was stuck in Manila with no money and no way to pay for the ferry ride home. It was apparent that a lot of the contestants were uneducated or had stopped attending school early. All the while the host was tossing around money -- $20 here, $20 there.

And here's this cracker family: well dressed, and oh so fake...turning down an offer for thirty eight thousand dollars to pay for suitcase #21 (which I'm pretty sure contains $5). It just felt so unreal...Maybe I'm racist. Or maybe Deal or No Deal is just a really lame game show. But let's just say that I wanted my mom to keep it on TFC. At the very least, I could brush up on my ability to understand tagalog. And watch those two young hostesses prance around the stage. Hey, I did learn something! "tupa" means "sheep". And if you have patience, you have soup -- Kung may tiyaga, may nilaga! :)

Speaking of food...it continued into today. My dad made me 2 fried egg sammiches for breakfast; then for lunch I had a pollo asado burrito & a shrimp taco courtesy Valentine's. Then for dinner it was a chicken quesadilla finished off with a slice of cookies 'n' cream ice cream cake. My parents think I'm too skinny; I think they're trying to stuff me with food. Thank goodness I'm heading back tomorrow; I'll probably gain back all 50 pounds if I stay any longer.

Anza Borrego State Park early tomorrow morning! Woo hoo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 12:28 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I like watching the tfc girls gyrate.

I wish they would CC in English though :-)

BTW, I was looking through my archive of pics and it is amazing how much weight you lost. Keep up the good work!

 
At 3/23/2006 12:42 PM, Blogger bev said...

Wowowee just came back on recently; it was on hiatus for a while after the whole stampede thing happened.

gary, i think those girls are gone now...

 
At 3/24/2006 1:58 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

"Stampede thing"? What's that?

 
At 3/24/2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Randy said...

bastard, you went to valentine's? bitch.

 
At 3/28/2006 1:05 PM, Blogger Mel said...

wow - I didn't know 'tupa' meant sheap...my lola used to say, "anak ka nang tupa!"...I love tfc!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home