Monday, December 26, 2005

Satisfy My Soul

I miss going to church.
And I especially enjoy visiting our family's parish, the one I grew up with -- fond memories of getting caught ditching CCD, the comeraderie of the confirmation retreat, getting dirty looks from the monsignor for cursing out loud in the parking lot during basketball practice. And I forget just how many filipinos attend this parish...brown people as far as the eyes can see. :)

The one thing that I really love about this church though is the music. Whether it's the youth choir or the soloists, I can always rely on beautiful song. And Saturday night's Christmas Eve mass was no exception, being treated to a choir, piano, violin, cantor, and a couple of old friends playing acoustic guitar and electric bass. (It was great saying hello to Tricia and Chris, it must've been at least 2, 3 years now since I saw them last.) Sitting there, on that well worn and creaking wooden pew, I bathed in the wonderful voices filling the 50 foot high concrete walls. And on occassion, grabbed the hymnal to join in the reverie. It uplifts my soul to the rafters, leaving a smile on my face as I slowly abandoned those troubles of modern life...resolving to let them wait for me outside in the cold & foggy winter air. Although there are many times when I find it difficult to reconcile differences between the homily and that world outside these halls, church has always been a sanctuary for my spirit, worn heavy from the burden and rigors or everyday life. I find solace in those quiet conversations with God, giving me peace if only for an hour.

Now the real trick is I just have to take some time visiting different churches back in the bay until I find one with decent music. There's some songs that I especially miss, not having heard for years now: On Eagle's' Wings, Lift Up Your Hands, One Bread One Body, Pan De Vida (to name a few). With luck, hopefully I'll find a house of worship that I enjoy attending and maybe start being an active member (I really need to learn how to sing though.)

In addition to the spiritual nourishment, this second visit home in as many months didn't fail to once again feed my big fat belly. Click on the photo for a description of the offerings that can only be described as "my Mom on a mission".
Christmas Dinner Table

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home