Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head

...But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
No,
Cryin's not for me...


Sometimes I really love the rain.
I enjoy the randomly rhythmic beat as drops begin to fall on the ground, climaxing to the soft roar of a billion drops cutting through the air. Even that pungent smell biting at the hairs in your nose as the fresh rainwater bubbles to the surface all the grit and grime of weeks of crud ground into the black asphalt roadway. I look out on the rows of traffic, black arms of rubber wiper blades doing their duty, each with their own sense of time...and the whole world around me is coated in this murky fog of gray. Headlights cast a dull glimmer reflected in the wet road below. The world around me has essentially mellowed out.

But what I really enjoy the most about the rain is the cleansing. When there's a break (like this morning), I could see for an eternity in crystal clarity. All the murkiness, the foggy rooster tails of spray kicked up by speeding cars, the small pools of brownish muck collecting over clogged storm draims...gone. Instead, you have this beautifully clear simplicity, if only for a few hours until the next shower.

Simplicity.

...Maybe that's really what I've been looking for all this time?

But everything about my life conspires against that -- from the myriad political, emotional, ethical, financial and technical complexities associated with my work, to my neverending battle with trying to stop overthinking my relationships. Even the world around us contributes to this...incomprehensibly massive amounts of information shoved down every conceivable orifice. They say the digital age has made our lives easier. But has it really? Or has it simply sped up our ability to generate and take in information, overloading all of us with mostly useless crap (like this blog, for example)?

Well, that may be true. But thinking about it now, I realize that with the good, I gotta live with the bad. Alas, how easy I forget once being a child listening to B.J. Thomas singing my (then) favorite song on my parent's 8-track, and having to hit the track button 3 times + fast forward for an eternity just so I could hear it again.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

At 12/23/2005 9:32 AM, Blogger double R said...

i love the rain too. i also really enjoy the way you write. keep it up.

 
At 12/23/2005 11:51 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Thanks Randy!

 
At 12/24/2005 1:14 PM, Blogger ojpt said...

Have you heard of the movie called Primer? It touches on these themes. You should check it out.

 
At 12/24/2005 1:21 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Thanks! I added it to the top of my Netflix queue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home