Monday, December 05, 2005

Faster Than a Speeding Bullet

I wish I was Superman.

And no, it's not for some noble cause like saving lives, preventing mass destruction, or inspiring young children to be better people. It's purely selfish.

Sure, there's the whole X-ray vision man-of-steel thing, but what I really want is to be able to fly really fast around the world and spin it backwards so that I can go back and change the past. I know that they all say you should never regret (and for the most part it's very good advice). But for some reason, there's some days -- like when you're home in bed trying to ward off the onset of the first cold of the season -- when you just can't seem to relax because your mind has found itself reliving moments long since gone. Like:
  • Not saying the right thing at the right time - the worst part is driving home an hour later and the perfect line/remark/comeback appears in your head, but the opportunity to use it is lost...forever.
  • Saying the wrong thing at the right time - and realizing 37 milliseconds later that you shouldn't have said that. And you're dying inside because all you want to do is reach out and grab those words out of thin air and pull them back and throw them on the floor, and stomp on them with your heavy leather shoes until they're pulverized into a million little pieces -- but you can't.
  • Letting my stupid insecure mind convince myself to miss out on social situations
  • Not buying that black-on-black '93 Sentra SE-R 10 years ago because of some lame torque excuse; not buying that '90 Turbo Z 7 years ago because of some lame insurance/maintenance excuse; not buying a house before I left San Diego when 2500 square feet in a good school district cost you a paltry $238K because I convinced myself I wasn't ready (I realize now that I was); blowing all my money on useless toys that depreciate faster than a reality TV show from MTV...and on and on and on.
Well maybe I just need to learn to live with regret -- and embrace it -- it will always be there, just natural fallout from being a fallible human. The funny thing is, I end up in regret because my mind gets so worried about the future, processing all the possible consequences and outcomes. But that's just plain silly.

Goal #3 on life's to do list: carpe diem.

Goal #276 on life's to do list: be Superman. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

6 Comments:

At 12/05/2005 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excerpt taken from askmen.com:

Many men constantly wonder how their lives would be now if they had done things differently in the past. Such regret is, more often than not, quite futile. As you go through life, it is better to accept your actions and inactions, and learn from them.

...You're not alone if you are disappointed in how you handled relationships with past lovers or treated your friends and relatives. Most of us feel remorseful sometimes for things we have said or done in interactions with co-workers and superiors, or other people with whom we come in contact throughout our lives. A certain amount of this is healthy.

...regret can become unhealthy when it routinely escalates small problems into bigger issues.


you can read more of the article here:
http://www.askmen.com/fashion/body_and_mind_60/82_better_living.html

 
At 12/05/2005 12:56 PM, Blogger bev said...

I have regrets too...but it probably evens out with the number of times I have said, "Oh I'm so glad I did/did not do this because ..." :)

 
At 12/05/2005 1:35 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Anonymous, thanks for the good article! It was a nice reminder of things that I've been trying to change in my life -- just gotta stick to it!

That's a great way of looking at things, Bev. Turn it around and focus on the positive. :)

 
At 12/06/2005 7:57 AM, Blogger ojpt said...

the grass is always greener. try not to worry so much!!

 
At 12/06/2005 9:40 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

"it's about the journey..." and everything that goes into it...

 
At 12/06/2005 2:19 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Me and my buds often go through the exercise - but we talk about all the girls we could have laid with what we know now. ;-P

Back then, girls liked to tell you that they liked you after they got over their crush.

But see, it is a good thing we didn't bang all those girls because we probably would have been dads or had some sort of VD.

Everything happens for a reason.

But seriously, I usually think about the fact that we wouldn't be who we are today without those experiences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home