Sunday, November 06, 2005

Nitromethane & Pastrami Sandwiches

There aren't enough superlatives that can adequately describe the sheer brutality that is Top Fuel Drag Racing. But I'll try...

I have always been impressed with man's ability to come up with some insane creations, but this one takes the cake. I knew that Top Fuel is just nuts (7000hp, 1/4 mile in 4 seconds @ 300+ mph) so I thought I was prepared for the onslaught. Boy was I wrong...So my brother and I are cruising the pits, waiting for the runs to start and just checking out the booths, and we hear this rumble...pop-pop-pop-pop like some harley motor gone insane. Walk a few trailers down and there's this crowd of about 40 people huddled around a top fuel dragster. Puffs of smoke are blown (no, shot) about 20 feet into the air as the motor idles. And it's freakin' LOUD. Just idling and you have to yell to be heard...Loaded down with too much gear, I rush to put my ear protection on and I fail to get it on in time: BLAP! OH. MY. GOD. The air pressure for 50 feet around just blows out, people jump and yelp, as the mechanics blip the throttle. I think I just lost my hearing. I can feel my shirt moving. Another loud BLAP! And it thumps my chest. And the ground is trembling. YEEEEEEEAH!!!! The mechanics shut down the motor and you hear a loud cheer from the crowd. My brother and I are super-hyped...

So walking around some more, we caught another team running their motor before the race. This time, we were able to get *a lot* closer. I'm within about 10 feet now of this incredible motor, and the fumes engulf us. They weren't kidding...tears instantly pour out of my eyes, and the sweet acrid stench starts to burn my throat and my lungs. I have a hard time breathing. My nose hurts. I start to taste it...it's sour. Oh, this can't be good. The motor shuts off and I have a chance to collect myself. Walking away my brother and I can't believe the onslaught on the senses...and we're still crying. Ow, it burns! Ah yes...nitric acid + propane == yummy nitromethane. Hehehheheheh

And then there's the actual race... When they do a burnout, it's only on half a motor so the sound is barely tolerable without ear protection. But when the light goes green...Holy crap. Imagine, if you will, one of those Amtrak CalTrains as it blows by you at about 70mph. There's that deep rumble that kinda vibrates the ground, right? Now multiply that sound intensity level by about, oh, a hundred. And imagine it at a much higher frenzy (instead of a low lazy rumble). That's what it's like...when the light goes green, your whole body vibrates, your vision blurs, the ground shakes (they register 3 on the richter scale - no kidding) and these two machines are GONE. Literally disappear. Down the 1/4 mile like you wouldn't believe.

There's more, but it's late & I'm tired from the five hour drive. More pics here.
Oh, and I finally got to try The Hat. Mmm, mmm, good!! The pastrami wasn't dry, wasn't too fatty, was shredded hella thin, and just had all around good flavor! My brother and I also split the chili fries -- I'd advise against it, it's quite bland and needs salt, hotsauce, etc. And it was freakin' huge. Big enough for 4 people. More pics.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home