Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Lactose Intolerance

So does Lactaid spoil? I have a half gallon carton of non-fat Lactaid brand milk (or "mehlk" as some of my wonderful smart-alecky friends would say) and the expiration date says: "Nov 18 2006". So I pour it out and large gelatinous blobs clump their way out onto my tasty Blueberry Morning cereal. The inner lip of the plastic spout has this dark brownish color to it. But it doesn't smell, and it doesn't taste sour. So maybe it's just the combination of the refrigerator temperature being pretty low (it's about 39 degrees) and me not shaking the carton enough?

Whatever, I didn't want to risk it, so I regretfully poured it all down the garbage disposal. And I was really craving cereal tonight. :(

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 11/03/2005 12:13 PM, Blogger bev said...

Kikkoman (yes, the makers of soy sauce) makes great soy milk. It's not the fresh kind but it sure does taste like it. Also, it's on sale right now at Albertson's for $.99 a carton. I bought 20 last night.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/04/28/FDGJ96AVIV1.DTL

 
At 11/03/2005 7:28 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

You bought 20 cartons?!? Jeez, that's like 5 gallons! So I take it the stuff lasts pretty long? That's a great price though. I've been looking for a good chocolate milk substitute since I haven't had any ever since my lactase enzymes decided to check out. And Hershey's syrup + Lactaid just isn't the same.

 
At 11/04/2005 8:58 AM, Blogger bev said...

it doesn't expire til aug 06 (although we'll be done w/it before this year ends; we go through it like it's water).

chocolate soy milk = yummy!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home