Thursday, November 10, 2005

We Live in a Beautiful World

So I finally got around to watching Garden State. I really, thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess I'm just a sucker for wide angles, good composition and witty, sharp dialogue. And Natalie Portman totally stole the show...interesting, now that I think about it -- how Zach Braff's character helps make Portman's performance stand out. Reminds me of old Barbara Stanwyck movies, how she would play opposite of someone harsh and rough and it would make her stand out to be something totally different... I guess that's one of the things I really liked about this movie -- how Sam (Portman) completely changes Andrew's (Braff) life in the period of four days. Sometimes it's amazing what one person can really do in another person's life. And you see that change take place, right before your eyes. Him starting off dead and numb then coming alive at the end.

Never knew this guy from Scrubs had such talent (writing/directing/acting). Curious how his other films are.

Man, I really need to get my sleeping schedule reset. Last minute procrastination for this whole performance review thingy has really thrown me off kilter. :(

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

At 11/10/2005 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore Zach Braff in Scrubs. Although, his character in Garden State could be the total opposite. Have you seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind? Sounds like Garden could slightly resembles Eternal [re: how the protagonist had been drastically changed by his counterpart's quirkiness] *shrugs*
(sidenote: I surprisingly enjoyed Eternal, I've yet to see Garden though...)

 
At 11/10/2005 10:52 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Haven't seen Eternal Sunshine yet, but it's in my queue. (Think I'll bump it up -- I'm in that kind of mood lately) What was great about Garden State was that there were some scenes in there that just caught me by surprise, had me laughing out loud.

 
At 11/10/2005 11:30 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

the Braff's are quite talented. check out his big brother's, Joshua Braff, novel "the unthinkable thoughts of jacob green". it's a wonderful read, will make you realize dysfunctional families come in all colors. Josh's book will be a movie someday soon, too. (don't ask how i know these things...)

LG

 
At 11/10/2005 1:16 PM, Blogger double R said...

one of my favourite movies...the soundtrack is amazing...

 
At 11/10/2005 3:49 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Agreed...I placed an order. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home