Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Three Weeks and Counting

It's odd how I've gone without a TV for three weeks now. My whole life has centered around this appliance, the centerpiece of every home. I grew up in a household with a TV in every room -- that's right, even the bathroom, for a grand total of six. With a family of five, that means that each of us could be watching their own program.

And here I am, staring into the black nothingness that is my (now lifeless) Trinitron, with Count Basie & Ella Fitzgerald swinging away through the Paradigms that sit on either side. It was a bit difficult the first two weeks, but tonight is really the first time that I've pretty much accepted it. The pangs of loneliness haven't raised their ugly head, searching for that comforting sound of Monica, Joey, Chandler, Rachel, Ross & Phoebe firing away another zinger. Nope...nights nowadays are filled with the sweet sounds of music (taped, mp3'ed, CD'ed, digital piano'ed, octavina'ed) and the soft clicking of a Thinkpad keyboard. I think I could get used to this...

(Man, Ella can scat with the best of 'em -- I gotta find more of her stuff)

So the only thing that really bugs me is that I enjoy watching movies. And my TV was damned good at reproducing movies -- Moulin Rouge left me speechless. Now I'm relegated to squinting on my 14" laptop LCD, hardly doing any film fair justice. I could continue doing laptop duty and wait until I get into a house and finally get the setup I want. Or I could just Craigslist it with some cheapo -- heck, even free -- boob tube. Or get the TV fixed and keep my fingers crossed that it won't break yet again.

Eh, whatever. Maybe I should just get off my ass and finish reading this pile of books that I've been putting off. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

6 Comments:

At 10/19/2005 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ella's the best. At least you're in good company! Try the Cole Porter Songbook Collection - something to fit every mood.

 
At 10/19/2005 11:34 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Cool, thanks for the tip...will check it out!

 
At 10/20/2005 12:32 AM, Blogger DJ John said...

Have you heard Ella do "Mack the Knife", forget the lyrics, and then just scat? She was awesome on that!

 
At 10/20/2005 9:53 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Yup, was listening to it the other night. Good stuff, I ended up buying a couple more albums and picked up some discs of Sarah Vaughn too (realized I never heard any of her stuff)

 
At 10/20/2005 11:40 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

best without the tv... only bad news anyway, and bad programming, and awful shows.. except for the simpsons... i wouldn't know what to do without my daily dose of the simpsons...

whatever you do, do not listen to Billy Holiday, unless you want to start bawling your eyes out. :-)

and don't listen to any monk, or mingus, or oscar peterson. :-)

have you considered the fine classic works of wierd al yankovich?

 
At 10/20/2005 1:28 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Too late, was listening to Lady Day the other night. Didn't bawl my eyes out though. And this wannabe piano player loves Oscar Peterson. But definitely forgot to try out some Thelonius and some Mingus -- gonna add that to my list.

For some reason I can't enjoy Weird Al as much as my old coworkers did. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home