Saturday, July 30, 2005

I Ain't Got Time to Bleed

I don't know why, but I still get a kick out of watching Predator even after like the 100th time. Maybe it's all the extreme characters. Or maybe it's just those lines...

Billy: "We're all gonna die"
Dutch: "Stick around"; "Get to da chawper!"; "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
Mac: "I'm gonna have me some fun" "Anytime"

So on Friday afternoon, some of my old direct reports showed up a few minutes early for my former boss's farewell lunch at Long Life Noodle Co. We ended up perusing Schuab's. After all these years in Palo Alto, I had no idea this place existed. It was one of those times that I wished I had a camera phone. There, sitting in the frigid glass case, was the most marbled piece of bone in NY Strip that I have ever seen in my life. I mean, there was barely no red left. Two and a half inches thick and $27.99/lb. That's right, twenty eight dollars a pound. And the whole time I was going through my Moo Go Gee and Mango Martini, that was all I could think about...a fat ass steak. Oh yes, I will be back, and that steak will be mine...for some special occassion, like celebrating Monday. Or a Wednesday. Or celebrating days that end in Y.

Before I die, I want to make one bad-ass Cibachrome print. Hopefully with some luck I'll get to snap that one picture filled with all the colors of the spectrum...maybe the wildflowers in Mojave, or the Joshua trees in full bloom, or the turning of the leaves in the Blue Ridge mountains, or... Working at a photo lab back in high school, I still remember seeing my first ever Cibachrome print sitting there in the back on a table. It was a 20" print of a bright yellow hot rod sitting under a canopy of trees during what must be late October. I was blown away by how amazingly intense the colors were, and how the image literally jumped out at me.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

6 Comments:

At 8/01/2005 9:43 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

i second that! good pacing on the action. i discovered i really like AVP as well. (go figure...)

LG

 
At 8/01/2005 10:10 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I had a chat with Randy about Predator and Aliens during rehearsal. I loved those movies individually, but I wish they did something more with AVP.

 
At 8/01/2005 2:41 PM, Blogger R said...

I can never get bored with a few movies. Immediately what comes to mind are Blackhawk Down, and R and J with Decaprio and Claire Danes. I have to watch those every once in a while. For me, Predator not so much but Aliens yes. Rhoel.

 
At 8/01/2005 2:45 PM, Blogger DJ John said...

"Do it! Do it! Come on! Kill me!" That's the Ah-nold I used to love...

 
At 8/01/2005 4:24 PM, Blogger Randy said...

off topic but this is from arnold...."who's your daddy? and what does he do?"

 
At 8/01/2005 9:21 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

John-Good one

Randy-hahaha

Here's another Ah-nold-ism

(after throwing the knife in Commando) "stick around"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home