Friday, July 22, 2005

Long Hot Summer

I really should be watching Battlestar Galactica right now. But six+ glasses of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Chianti is just making it difficult to concentrate. And I really should respect Rondalla practice more. Playing music with great friends is just such a wonderful experience that I never want to end. I can't imagine stopping playing with "the crew". It's one of the few things that I look forward to each week...good dinner, good wine, and good music. Tonight it was tri-tip night. Hopefully the group was satisfied, I was thinking that people would bring more food but there wasn't much...so I had my mac-n-cheese (I really need to make it the real way a-la Alton Brown instead of this crappy Kraft Mac-N-Cheese shit -- at least I used real butter this time!) The Stubb's BBQ rub seemed to turn out OK, but I think I left the tri-tip a bit too long on the grill; it was a bit high on the medium side. (Damn this chianti is good). I let the thermometer hit 130 degrees...I should've pulled it at 120. Oh well, lessons learned.

You know, I think I'm beginning to really like Bryan's PowerBook keyboard. I just gotta figure out how to get it to single click when I tap the touchpad. And I think i've finally figured out all the Ctrl/Alt/Option/Apple Button crap and can maneuver through text reasonably well with the keyboard (I can't stand using the stupid mouse). I think I need to get a Mac.

Next week it'll be prime rib via special request from Kuya Rudi -- I think I'll turn it into a nice Brazil sendoff for my kick ass musician friends. Maybe I'll cheapen out with some Chateau Briand or beef tenderloin or Diamond Jim roast. But man, Prime Rib is just SOOOOO good, and next to impossible to mess up (and makes me look like a kick-ass cook for not doing shit -- friendly tip for y'all out there, always buy GOOD cuts of meat. USDA prime, well-marbled. And dry-age it if you can. You don't really have to do anything for it to turn out right.) We'll see, I'll just make it my gift to the cool ass rondizzy crew.

Speaking of which...I was sitting on the crapper tonight (maybe that Penne Norcina from Pasta Question Mark messed me up? Or the bruschetta? That lunch with my group was pretty nice -- they seem to get along well, a nice diverse, intelligent group of people. But yet, they're still in the "forming" stage of that old Forming/Norming/Storming/Performing metric). Anyways, I was sitting on the crapper tonight, and listening to the group play Habanera Jovencita and Aray, I suddenly felt this rush of joy...I was just so happy to be able to spend once a week with my friends in the Rondalla, to share a bottle of wine, enjoy some good food, and play some fun filipino music. Well, except for those damned rural songs that really dig into my skin...like Itik Itik. But I shouldn't complain, it's all our music, and I should be proud of 'em, no matter how repetitive...and I should work at making them my own, throwing in different progressions and transitions. But that takes practice, and I'm one lazy son of a bitch. :)

I really need to stop drinking...I'm afraid my liver doesn't like me anymore. I think it's time to start smoking.

Man, I haven't driven the Honda in over a week now. Tomorrow awaits. Maybe I'll bring my camera along and go picture hunting. Or maybe I'll go visit K&S and pick up a nice large format camera to play with. Or maybe I'll just work on my "ernie's list of life-changing things to do" list. Or maybe I'll wash my clothes. Or wash the car. Or buy a new shirt. Damn. I live one hell of a freakin' exciting life. Yay oh yay.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home