Thursday, July 28, 2005

My Ever Changing Moods

I've been churning over how to continue my little stories - there's a thought that lies lurking in the back of my head - but work has been quite hectic lately. One of these days I'll get around to it. So for now, just mindless rambling...


It's all a matter of perspective.

Yesterday I was going through a pile of resumes from Waterloo (Canada) for some co-op NCGs. Got some good ones (about 3 out of the whole pile of 20) but what caught my eye was this one candidate who actually used the word "fabulous" in his resume: "fabulous organization and time management skills". His lack of proper capitalization throughout was pretty much a reject for me, but I would've loved to have seen him write "FABulous organization and time management skills".

Hot or Not + Google Maps = this.

And check this out -- kinda freaky.

So there's a 5 rib roast dry-aging in the fridge right now. I'm rethinking the decision of whether to cut from the loin end or the chuck end. I think the loin end is more tender, but the chuck end has more flavor. But the butcher kinda confused me, convincing me that I should get from the chuck end -- I think he was trying to swindle me, and save the best cut for himself. :)

This is a cool beer ad.

Does anyone remember making tapes? I've been putting together a bunch of Desert Island Discs and started thinking back to what it used to be like. I mean, all this digital stuff is kinda cool -- easy to use, just drag & drop! But the magic of it all is sort of lost. It used to take hours to make a tape...first you had to set the right bias for each tape, then choose the noise-reduction filter (C was hella cool, but I only had one deck that could play it back so everything was pretty much in B). Then each song had to be level-checked on your 3-head deck, making sure that the levels were set just right so the loudest passages on the song was loud enough so that the hiss was gone but not too loud that it didn't distort. And yes, this meant you had to know where the loudest parts of the song were. On top of all this, you were going through your record/CD/tape collection and figuring out which song would go next -- the mood you were trying to set; what felt right after this song; etc. etc. I guess most people would actually plan out the entire tape, but I usually had just one or two to get me started, then as I listened to the recording -- real time, remember? -- depending on the mood I'd go off and diverge.

Yeah, the technology is definitely better. But the outcome doesn't seem to have that same sentimental charm that it used to, when you would hold that $14 TDK MA-XG cassette tape, solid metal frame and all, and know how much effort was put into it. Whoa...people are still selling these things on eBay!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 7/28/2005 8:23 PM, Blogger Randy said...

ahhhh yessss...i remember the days of playing with cassette decks. i was one of those who try to mix tapes together!

 
At 7/28/2005 10:58 PM, Blogger bev said...

whoa, those chalk drawings are cool!!

i used to put music on tapes in order such that the first letter of each song title, when put together, spelled something when you read down the column of song titles.

 
At 7/29/2005 9:31 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

ok... why robots? not enough people in the world? that is creepy. can we say... bladerunner?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home