Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Car Wash

Do-overs. As a naïve child in elementary school, I used to take advantage of this rule, like some God-given right to appease for mistakes I made. Bad kickball pitch? “Do-over!” Bad four-square bounce? “Do-over!” And those that were smart enough wisely set the ground rules before the game: “No do-overs!” But as the years moved on, the reality immediately sank in that life has no do-overs. As much as I wished that I could invoke that magical rule like a secret weapon out of my back pocket, the harsh reality is that you have to own up to your decisions and live with your mistakes.

Instead, a do-over lives in concept only, relegated to only those most simplistic things like an overcooked dinner (eat out); an erased file (undelete); an ugly dress (go get a refund). But those big things in life, with far-reaching consequences…those are permanent. And you have to live with them for the rest of your lives.

Sitting here on this yellow bench outside Ducky's Car Wash in San Carlos, underneath grey clouds on a chilly Wednesday morning, I revel in the thought that for fifteen bucks I can cleanse my car of a month's worth of grit and grime, and start fresh - anew...shiny and sparkling for another month's worth of duty.

If only life were as convenient as a fifteen dollar car wash.

Car Wash

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 11/02/2006 10:11 AM, Blogger ojpt said...

i call do-over on Oregon St. versus USC. Pleeeease!!! =(

 
At 11/03/2006 9:26 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

I blogged about this blog post...
Lara G.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home