Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Heat Is On In Singapore

From World Weather Server:

Current Conditions in Singapore
current weather in Singapore, Singapore
Broken Clouds
88°F / 31°C
Feels like 99°F / 37°C
UV: 11 (Extreme)

Maybe I'm walking too fast.
Maybe it's that choking, smoky haze covering the city from those yearly massive slash-and-burn fires raging in Indonesia.
Or maybe it's the huge masses of people swarming the Orchard Road shopping district.
pic 672

...Or it could just be that I'm too fat. Whatever the case, I can feel that warm sticky sweat soaking off my back into my red Gap classic fit tee, on my arms, on my forehead. The thick air is filled not only with the sounds of a dozen languages, but my nose picks up the unique acrid smell of dried meats, fish sauce, smelly armpits, and fresh fruits. The $1SGD ice cream stalls and the occasional cooling from open shop doors provide some relief from the heat, but I still clamor to hustle back to the room... My lonely solace perched high above the craziness below.
pic 662
I'm sorely disappointed at the shopping out here...it's a far cry from my joy in Hong Kong at finding not one, but four different stores that actually had a Nikon 18-200 in stock! And at an excellent price to boot. It could be the sharply falling conversion rate (only 4 months ago, it was up near 2.8SGD to 1USD). This are is definitely a shopper's paradise. Everything can be had here, from mega-expensive Cartier jewelry to el-cheapo fakie-fakie stuff. There's a Border's, Coffee Bean, Apple Store, and look out...a GAP store is opening soon. There are no deals to be had, with most everything hovering around the same price range as stuff in the US.

At least I got to see some cool cars.
S15

So I duck into the lobby of the Grand Hyatt, the warm sticky sweat immediately turning into a coating of ice as my body is blasted by the sub twenty degree air conditioning. The noise of the crazy crowded streets quickly fade away as I recede into the depths of the marble floored hotel and scurry into the dark elevator dimly lit by a flickering LCD display advertising the hotel's restaurants. As I slip the key into the energy conservation slot near the door, lights flood the empty living- and bed-room while the AC roars to life, clearing out the stuffy air.

As Damien Rice starts up on my iRiver, a quiet thought crosses my mind...

I miss home.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 10/09/2006 3:19 PM, Blogger Randy said...

i dare you to chew gum and spit it out onto the sidewalk =)boorot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home