Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sushi Monsterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I just have to say...Sushi Monster is the absolute best sushi I have had to date.

Shirley and I sat at the sushi bar and chit-chatted with the young sushi chef who goes by the name of "BJ". He suggested the toro and uni, which I promptly ordered.

And he was spot on...
Sushi Monster

If you notice the Toro on the right, it's not the dark pink/red that I'm used to from other restaurants. BJ tells us that this is the color it's supposed to be...and that in Japan, it's even better. And holy smokes, this thing was amazing...literally melting in your mouth like a big piece of fish fat. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

And that Uni was the first piece I've had in about 7 years now, after being gunshy from the really gross piece I decided to try at Todai's. This piece here was absolutely fresh, as BJ assured me from behind the plastic counter holding the glimmering pieces of fresh fish. It still has that strange texture that's quite offputting to a large number of folks, but that flavor...mmmmmmmmmm.

If you happen to be in Belmont, give Sushi Monster a try.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 10/16/2006 10:51 AM, Blogger double R said...

Better than Tojo's in Van?

 
At 10/16/2006 1:08 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

You really can't compare. :)

Tojo's was a totally different experience, special in its own way...definitely THE place for omakase style, and it was made all the more memorable because of my dinner companions, the wonderful view, having a great road trip, and...well, me being at that particular point in my life this past March. Sushi Monster is a hole-in-the-wall neighborhood jewel that on this past Friday night just happened to have the most amazing piece of Toro and Uni I have ever had in my life.

So all I can say is: find out for yourself...Eat dinner at Tojo's on Friday night, then hop on a plane the next day and have dinner at Sushi Monster. :)

 
At 10/17/2006 12:50 PM, Blogger double R said...

You'll have to take me there on my next visit to SF, hopefully sooner rather than later...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home