Monday, September 04, 2006

And Larry’s Getting La-a-a-arger

He motions to the few remaining dark-colored and exquisite slices of roast duck sitting on the plate…“Hey Ernie, here, come ‘on have some more!”

For a long time now I had exercised self-discipline, in a desperate ferocious attempt to achieve goals that eighteen months and sixty pounds ago seemed wholly unrealistic. Under 220 pounds, I convinced myself. I want to jump out of an airplane. My uphill trek had taken me through continual battles with carnal desires for utterly sinful pieces of chocolate, bouts with the ever present “I’ll work out tomorrow”. I fashioned hair-brained theories to help me through it all

  • Inventing a “quota” approach: with my ever-increasing age, my daily food allotment drops and drops – so why waste time on such low-quality foods like that utterly tempting bag of Doritos or that mouth-watering masterpiece Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger
  • Misery: it’s widely known that unhappy people are skinny and happy people are fat
  • Half of me: Regardless of how hungry you are, despite that inner voice beckoning you to take another bite, stop at the halfway point for all your meals. Stop worrying about waste and “finishing all your food” and just throw it all way. Let it go to waste. It’s OK to waste.

But the fact of the matter is this…

Energy in = Energy out

Plain and simple.

And yet, staring at those delectable morsels of heaven, facing yet another in a long never-ending series of crossroads, I falter and reach over with the glazed plastic chopsticks to take another bite. And so has the story been for the past couple of months…only the food has changed. So instead of wallowing with self-loathing at a job not done and pondering the very disheartening prospect of returning to my unhappy and unhealthy ways, I might as well spend the next few posts recapping the wonderful culinary journey I’ve had to date, and make a promise to set a new goal for the coming year.

(for a pictorial tour, go here)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 9/04/2006 10:09 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

I just satisfied my craving for carne asada fries this past weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home