Friday, September 15, 2006

Home.

pic 420

The internet is an amazing little thing. Who would've thought that a tiny little twisted pair of copper wire possessed the power to not only catapult you into the farthest reaches of the universe, but also make you feel like the loneliest place on earth. Bouting insomnia resulting from a severe workaholic episode that's already lasted a week (and counting), I decided to wield this utlimate social tool and take a tour of the world around me.

And I felt utterly alone.

My face lit by the dim glow of a million liquid crystals, I clicked. And read. And clicked. And scrolled... I reveled in Ms Luzon's newfound kitchen prowess; I drooled over tabachoy's images of fat-filled Baja style goodness; I pondered over damoomoo's interesting observations about money dances (hey...if I get married, I'm havin' one -- who's gonna pay for the open bar?!?!?); I found myself peering into crisperville's accounts of a fabulous european romp; I sat perplexed by laragitara's snippets on life... And for some reason, I started to think about "Home." Maybe it was the thoughtful little note that popped into my mailbox today, handwritten, from a good friend clear across the country who wrote just to say, "hello". Or maybe it was the fact that this stupid Beta Blogger upgrade has yielded any form of friendly commentary on this page to be highly ineffective.

So what does home mean to you?

I imagine it to be a wonderful thing. Like silencing a packed house of 1000 people in a darkened auditorium with the sound of your pick as it strummed steel strings. Or reading a good book in front of a cozy fire, your feet cuddled by warm cottom slippers and the heat from your labrador retriever resting quietly on the floor. Or sitting in the cockpit of your four-wheeled racer, screaming into a decreasing radius corner, executing yet another perfectly rev-matched heel-toe downshift, nailing the apex, and exiting in a beautiful four-wheel-drift. Or standing in the arms of the woman you love in the middle of a crowded dance floor, not a care in the world. Or the roar of laughter as your friend of 20 years decides to recall a fond memory of your childhood long since forgotten... Or for some lucky few, coming home everyday to the sight of a wonderful bundle of joy not unlike the one pictured above.

Ah yes...I really am a sentimental old fool.

Thank goodness for the internet! For without you, I wouldn't be able to spend yet another darkened hour of a sleepless night throwing words into the ether and looking back at a collection of memories sixteen months in the making.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 9/18/2006 10:31 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

As Mr Carlos Bulosan wrote, "home is where the heart is"...

Cryptive snippets allow me to write about what's goin' on without anyone really knowin' what's goin' on, except me of course. That is, until i'm ready to type it out, shout it out, let it be known... Some topics are too heavy on the downbeat.

This post ain't one of them though. Home is a good thing.

Lara G.

 
At 9/20/2006 8:08 AM, Blogger DJ John said...

I'll drink to that. Actually, I'll drink to a lot of things... Yay internet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home