Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cue Roundup

Yesterday completes my tour of Bay Area BBQ... Hanging out in Walnut Creek, I decide to finally visit Bo's BBQ in Lafayette for a nice Saturday afternoon lunch. The restaurant was very "Lafayette-ish" with shaded patio seating on the wooden deck outside overlooking Mt. Diablo Blvd. The menu was pretty simple, we opted for the 3-way combo: pork ribs, links, and beef brisket. The meat came with a plate of sides: white corn (super sweet and super crispy!), greens (very californ-i-a), potato salad, bread, and BBQ sauce. The pork ribs were pretty damned good...juicy, tender but not overcooked, and not overly smoky. (Personally, I prefer a sweeter rub). The links were really good, best of all the BBQ joints so far. The beef brisket was the low point -- dry, crumbly, devoid of flavor. I've had waaaay better elsewhere. BBQ is hard to come by in the city by the bay, so how do I rank 'em?

  1. Uncle Frank's - The meats were extra super smoky, downright delicious. We went a while ago, when they were at the old East Palo Alto location. They've since moved to somewhere in Mountain View. This place is still my favorite so far.
  2. Everett & Jones - It's been so long that I can't remember the details, but I think I liked it. I must go back and refresh my memory. hehe
  3. Bo's
  4. Rib Shack - Haven't been there for a while, but the last time I was there they gave huge portions, and the meat was pretty good
  5. Memphis Minnie's - Go here for the pulled pork with N. Carolina(?) sauce. Everything else is rather forgettable...beef brisket was pretty dry, and the pork ribs were just OK. And being in the city adds an annoyance for parking (but it wasn't too bad on the Saturday afternoon when we went). Almost forgot...the sides were damned good here.
  6. Famous Dave's BBQ - I actually didn't try the Gilroy location (I tried the one in Denver). It was pretty good for chain-style food.
  7. Armadillo Willy's - eh.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

At 8/14/2006 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

must be a bbq weekend *what a coinky-dink*...anyhoo, my sis & I went to everett & jones this past saturday. I had the beef briskett and she had the ribs. the sides we ordered were collard greens, candied yams, and cornbread. suffice it to say, we both had meat coma by the end of our meal. 'twas a mighty fine finger-lickin'-belly-rubbin' grub.

--anne

 
At 8/14/2006 11:14 PM, Blogger Edward said...

you should try flint's in oakland.

 
At 8/15/2006 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen on flint's! it's da bizzomb...

 
At 8/15/2006 4:35 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Hm... I think I'll make a trip back to Everett & Jones and "refresh my memory". :)

I totally forgot about Flint's. Thanks Ed.

Now the next trick is finding good soul food in the bay.

 
At 8/21/2006 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm back forty, pleasant hill. delish! hey man i think a dinner get together is looong overdue (don't forget your goto couple in your "single"er days!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home