Monday, February 20, 2006

Boo iPod Boo

OK all you iPod people out there...

How the heck do you shuffle a playlist? I made a playlist on iTunes, dragged all my music into there, disconnected my iPod and started listening to tracks. All good. But then I wanted to shuffle the songs in the playlist. So...go to the menu, hit the "Shuffle Songs" option, and bang! all my songs got shuffled into one massive playlist. :(

I just want that play list to shuffle. Damnit.

And the other thing that bugs me is the sound quality...downright crappy! My old iRiver blows this thing out of the water. I guess you really are paying through the nose for stupid things like the coolness factor (it is kinda nifty) and the nice pretty display. Not to mention it doesn't even come with a freakin' wall charger.

Before I return this thing and get something better, does anyone know how to fix the shuffle setting? (I just might keep it if that can be fixed.) And me shuffling the playlist in iTunes with the iPod connected is not an option. I want to be able to shuffle the list while listening on the fly.

I really wish iRiver would hire someone good to do their UI. Their clunky interface (and even clunkier control knob) is the only thing keeping me from buying another one of their players.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

At 2/21/2006 1:13 PM, Blogger Gary said...

It is a setting. Select randomize songs - i don't have my nano on me so I can't remember where it is. But it will do what you are looking for.

Shuffle music is designed to shuffle ALL songs on the ipod.

What kind of ipod did you get? Are you comparing it with the same set of headphones?

When I tried my ipod with Etynomic headphones and Shure, it sounded A LOT better than my sony headset. But from what I read, the Shuffle has the best sound quality.

 
At 2/21/2006 1:50 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Ah, thanks Gary!

As for the sound quality, I used the same headphones (Etymotic 6p) playing the same song on my iRiver iHP-120. And there is a noticeable difference in quality...primarily because the iRiver has a plethora of settings.

And I think it also has to do with the low voltage on the Nano, which really needs high impedance headphones do get any semblence of quality.

Maybe I should get the shuffle instead...I just need something ultra light and portable for when I go running.

 
At 2/21/2006 9:17 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

OK, got it working. There's a setting for "Shuffle" where you can choose how to shuffle (albums or songs).

And I switched to the el-cheapo Sony earbuds and the bass response is closer to what I was expecting. Which is fine, as the etymotics are strictly for air travel (where I'll be using the iRiver instead).

So I'm a happy camper now. :)

 
At 2/22/2006 12:45 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Cool deal. i think the newer nanos don't scratch as easily. I bought mine the day of the announcement. I really don't care because it is in my pocket most of the time.

Except I can't find it. This has been the 5th time I lost it. It has to be somewhere in the house...

 
At 2/22/2006 9:13 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I found it in my deep in my jacket focket this morning. I couldn't run without music!

Just be careful, these things are easy to misplace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home