Friday, January 13, 2006

What Haunts You?

(So I'm procrastinating again) ...As part of my performance review, I'm to put together a list of the top five things that "haunt me". I'm really enjoying working for my (relatively) new boss...he's introduced this great way of looking at goals/development plans. Basically, to be happy to come to work every morning, there's really only two things that you have to manage:
  1. Do I feel appreciated? This is your manager's job to make sure that you're happy with the way you're being treated, whether it be compensation (not just salary!), work environment, respect, etc.
  2. Do I feel inadequate? This is your responsibility... You need to identify those things in your abilities/skillset that keep you awake at night. Whether it be fear of public speaking, or lack of confidence in your technical skills; they all impact your success at the workplace. Thus, my little homework assignment due in like 10 hours.
Manage these two things well, and you have happy employees. And happy employees are productive employees!!

And before I sign off for the night:
  • How the hell do you write a mission statement?
  • Taxes really suck...
  • ...And so do last minute meetings that force you to rearrange plans that you've been looking forward to all week.
  • I'm excited! My new toy came in the mail today. Time will tell if this wannabe has any skill to produce something as creative as these other talented folks or if he's just another yuppie poser...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

At 1/13/2006 1:37 AM, Blogger ojpt said...

who you calling yuppie, poser? nice camera!

 
At 1/13/2006 10:02 AM, Blogger double R said...

personal mission statement or for your company?

 
At 1/13/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

It's for work. I wrote a couple before for my previous groups, but I've never been comfortable with them. I just want to create something cool and kick-ass. :) Maybe I should see what other companies write...

 
At 1/13/2006 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Initially, I thought this entry would consist of myths and superstitious beliefs due to the fact that today is Friday the 13th. Obviously, as I continued reading that was not the case *sigh*.

Perhaps, if you search other company and/or personal mission statements on the web as examples you could devise your own.

Random: have you heard of Julie Plug? They're a Filipino alternative band based here in San Francisco. :o)

 
At 1/13/2006 1:12 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Yup! Seen 'em live a couple of times -- I love their music but sadly was a bit disappointed in the performance aspect of their repertoire.

I'm not an overtly superstitious person, but I was struck today by the 13th weirdness: our corporate network went down (boo!) and that 3rd bullet I mentioned in my post.

Well, at least I got a new toy to play with -- it's off to K&S to go pick up some cheap film! Hopefully nothing else bad will happen today. (fingers crossed)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home