Sunday, October 23, 2005

Just My Imagination

For a long time, I really hated stuff from Bach & Mozart. Too soft, too prancy. Hearing that, an old friend told me that, as you get older, you'll get sick of all that Beethoven stuff and will soon learn to appreciate Bach. And what was I doing the other day? Yup...listening to Glenn Gould play Bach Sonatas on the piano. Is that really what happens when you get older? You lose touch with current music and long for the old, softer stuff? I'm sitting here, listening to The Temptations
Her love is heavenly
When her arms enfold me
I hear a rhapsody
But in reality, she doesn't even know me...
Just my imagination

Runnin' away with me...
and thinking that they really don't make music like this anymore. They did this stuff like forty years ago and it still sounds really good. All the stuff I hear now just seems so ordinary. I wonder...in another forty years, would today's music be regarded as timeless classics? Heck, I still freak out at the thought that Exposé is considered "old".

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 10/24/2005 11:02 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

when i was in my early twenties, i was all over the baroque music. then it got really irritating. now i prefer Holst (the planets are a big fave and full of significant memories), a little bit or eric satie (gymnopedie is one of my favourite music in the entire world, one of the most touching and poignant pieces i've ever heard). i'm appreciating the american composers more. but jazz has always been a constant. i find i'm really digging django reinhardt lately... but have always loved mingus, monk, peterson, and of course, the music of Dr. Boogie Nights. miles davis, i don't know, he broods too much for me. as i get older, i find i like music with a sense of humor, and i seek out local bands more than ever. aside from being a town of 1000 sushi joints, we also have a pretty good local music scene.

check out savannah jazz lounge in the mission in the city. great local jazz bands play there nightly. no cover (except on tuesdays). awesome food. you gotta go! i'll buy your first beer. :-)

 
At 10/24/2005 11:12 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

oh ya, forgot to add, da funk!! as i get older, i am loving the funk more... and not just the classics. stymie and the pimp jones love orchestra... check 'em out. and there's joe bataan (pinoy dude), king of latin r&b, whom i just heard of. smooth and cool as can be.

and the easy music of jack johnson, but then again, what chick does not like jack johnson?

 
At 10/24/2005 1:00 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Uh oh...Jack Johnson is chick music? That doesn't bode well for me, as I really dig his stuff. :) Django Reinhardt is amazing!! I have this video clip of him playing the guitar -- coolest thing I've ever seen. Thanks for all the recommendations, will definitely go and check 'em out (as soon as I get my wardrobe all straightened out)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home