Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Desire. Lust. Wanton Reckless Materialism.

I hate when I get into these modes...I constantly find myself shopping -- and not your typical wandering around a teenage infested mom hangout like Serramonte Plaza. No, this is in the virtual mall known as the internet. I don't know what it is, maybe it's because I haven't watched TV for like 5 days. Maybe it's because of the recent purging of old crap from this move. Whatever the case, I got a bad case of materialism going on right now. Let's see:
  1. New PC - my old desktops are now long gone. I need something that I can use to edit videos. And no, a freakin' $2500 PowerMac G5 dual 2 point whatever gigahertz SOHO fancy shmancy shiny workstation from Mr. Cupertino ain't gonna do it. Not for cheap racing videos or the other video projects I have planned. Besides, I don't have a business yet to write off the expense. Researching some I've come across a configuration that'll work - Cheap $400 PC + $350 Matrox RT.X 10 nonlinear editing card (crucial! I hate rendering times!) Nevermind the fact that I can do just fine right now importing the track clips on my work laptop using Windows Movie Maker.
  2. Bedroom speakers - There's an amp, pre-amp and CD player sitting in my bedroom aching for that right set of speakers. And I've always wanted a set of Polk SDAs... Wouldn't you know it, there's an absolutely stunning example of their top line model up for grabs at eBay right now. Now someone in their right mind would ditch the second stereo altogether and sell it for a decent chunk of change to donate to an orphanage or something. But that's not me...no, I'm insane.
  3. Camera - I need a medium format camera. And a digital P&S. And a digital SLR. That's right, need. Forget the fact that I'm not that good at it and I won't make any money and that it's just a hobby. Forget all that. I just want to be able to pretend that I'm a good photographer and look like I know what I'm doing. And you very well can't do that with a 35mm Nikon from the mid-nineties, right? Right. It doesn't help that one of the people that I'm talking to at my company takes stunning photographs.
  4. Car - I need a Spec E30 race car. I don't care if I don't have a house with a garage yet, or a tow vehicle...I'm going to need a new track/autocross toy once the S2K is gone and the G20 gets replaced by a motorcycle. And...there's a beautiful silver E30 325i sitting in Mountain View right now. And I bet I can get 'em to drop the price to two grand. Oh, and I forgot to mention I need a turbo car too. Just because I've never had one. And turbos (a well setup one) are wonderfully intoxicating totally addicting pieces of machinery.
  5. Dishes - I need new plates. And bowls. I gave my old set to my brother, so now I'm living off of paper plates. Well, I guess I could wait on this one. Paper plates aren't too bad. But it's quickly going to suck because I need to start cooking dinners once I get sick of turkey sammiches and Fiber One cereal.
You know, I'm trying to remember... what da hell did we do before there was internet access? I seem to recall playing a lot of board games. And playing football/baseball/basketball/kickball/super-freeze-tag outside a lot. And riding bikes. And going to the library. And hanging out with friends. And talking on the phone...

Living without a TV isn't too bad...living without internet access, well...that's just crazy talk. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

At 10/05/2005 12:30 PM, Blogger bev said...

it's funny how out of all of your needs, #5 is the one you can "wait on", considering it's the easiest one of out the whole list to buy!! :)

 
At 10/05/2005 9:21 PM, Blogger Randy said...

HM geek.

 
At 10/05/2005 9:58 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Damn skippy, Bev! I got my priorities straight! :) And I added an extra 80 miles to my commute home tonight buying #3 from a Craig's List seller in Pinole. heheheheh....priorities!

 
At 10/07/2005 11:33 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

my want list is short...

#1 - I want a housecleaner... someone to come in twice a week to pick up after all 5 of us and do the laundry.

#2 - be able to quit my day job so i can make money working my dream job. (that i can foresee happening... i just gotta believe)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home