Monday, September 26, 2005

Monday Tidbits

I'm much too lazy to put together anything remotely creative or cohesive, so...

I've started my NetFlix subscription. I've got my movie queue up to 50 movies -- I wonder how many movies I will end up going through per month, and if I'll have the werewithal to maintain my own movie review blog. Maybe 3 a month? They sure have a great selection. I signed up for Space Battleship Yamato (StarBlazers!) -- I remember getting ready for school in South San Diego eating my cereal and watching Speed Racer and Star Blazers. I used to love to draw that battleship...

I couldn't resist, and gave in to getting cable. And not just basic cable, but the package that comes with Speed Channel and NFL Network and I plunged in and got DVR. Man, that thingamajigger is pretty nifty...(like that rotiserrie infomercial) just set it and forget it! Now I just gotta stick to the habit of not turning on the TV whenever I walk in the room and wasting hours on end on some brain dead crap, and just plan out my programming. I was actually impressed with Comcast, they were here 5 minutes after the time they said they would be here. And got my internet & cable up and running in like 15 minutes. And on a Sunday, too!

My TV forgot the calibration settings after it was repaired. Damnit. So now I have the Video Essentials disc coming in tomorrow from NetFlix (told you they had a great selection!) and will have to recalibrate things. And I had it setup for like 8 years now.

Damn that 80/20 rule. 80% of the stuff took 20% of the time to move, but that remaining 20% is taking up 80% of my time. Grrrr. Moving sucks. I know I said Chateau was the last rental, but this time will definitely be the last. Just gotta stick to the plan (or get involved with some rich chick - hehe) and hopefully sometime next year will be in a house. If the scattered half-open boxes of my life that litter the apartment or the strained back muscles or the scar on my arm aren't enough motivation, I don't know what is.

I really need a digital P&S. Actually, that's wrong. No one should ever need anything except food, clothing & shelter. Let me rephrase...I want a Canon Powershot Digital Elph. Something cheap, like the SD200 or SD110. Nothing fancy, just something that powers on instantly, and lets me grab shots of those things in the world around me that make me feel great to be alive. Like the Jesus shafts peering through the clouds at sunset. Or the really nifty deep blue Siebel buildings outside my complex set amidst the orange backdrop of an autumn evening sky. Or those bright off-white flowers scattered within the wilting leaves outside my office.

There are some really talented folks on flickr.

I am not an artist. Watching the shows at APAture this past weekend, I realized how out of place I was -- a 34 year old corporate slave workin' for the man (or woman in my case). And these folks had some real honest to God talent. There were good readings, good musicians (LIKHA Rondalla included!), good photographers...all good stuff -- I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I had a blast learning how to work the audio board (my 15 minutes of fame as a sound engineer!). But looking around, I felt strangely out of place. Lots of young, inspired, motivated people with lots to say; and I imagine living completely different lives from my excessive twocar-5by5storageunit-large1bdrmapt-twostereo-digitalpiano-targetandbjsacrossthestreet-carlusting-life.

Reading Ms. Luzon's story about a bee sting (and everyone's comments about their own stories) got me thinking about some things that I've never experienced (like a bee sting):
  • Broken bone
  • Snake bite
  • Car rollover
  • Poison Ivy
  • Electrocution - oh wait, I actually did...pulling an exposed plug out of the wall, got jolted pretty bad by 120V; oh and adjusting the timing on my old Mustang, grabbed the distributor the wrong way and got some large current up my arm
  • Skydiving - although that's on my list!
  • Lowsiding a motorcycle
  • Hitting a pole - oh no wait, I did that in Bryan's car long ago
  • Hydroplaning out of control, spinning in the rain @ 50+ mph
  • Shaving my head
  • Dislocating my shoulder
  • Breaking the sound barrier
What the hell am I doing, this is useless...a list like this can go on forever.

I just found out that this complex will paint the apartment any color you like (I wonder how much they charge). Darn. I wonder what blood red walls would've looked like. Or black. Or electric blue. With white polka dots. Or maybe plaid, that would've been a sight. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

7 Comments:

At 9/27/2005 9:43 AM, Blogger bev said...

there ya go, an offer to buy a house.

i've never experienced those things you listed - and I hope I never do.

 
At 9/27/2005 11:30 AM, Blogger DJ John said...

I've never been fully kicked in the nuts, thank god. I don't want that experience. All the guys whinced when they read that too.

 
At 9/27/2005 11:58 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Darn. I was hoping I could go long enough without having to enable the spam filter. Maybe I should consider utlizing one of those trackback add-ons too.

I've actually been kicked in the nuts once before. Not on purpose though :) but nothing where you'd end up with something like a testicular contusion. (Owieee) And I've been hit square in the nuts by a tennis ball when pitching to one of the kids on our street years ago -- hahahaha, I think my Dad caught it on videotape.

 
At 9/27/2005 9:01 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

I've been in a rollover accident, came out with a bruised ego. I miss that mustang.

 
At 9/28/2005 12:00 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Damn dude. That must've been crazy...you gotta tell me the story next time.

 
At 9/28/2005 9:03 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I've been kicked in the nuts - good thing I had a cup on.

I've also rolled over in a Mazda MPV Mini-van.

 
At 9/28/2005 9:03 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I've been kicked in the nuts - good thing I had a cup on.

I've also rolled over in a Mazda MPV Mini-van.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home