Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Welcome Back Kotter

So got a great how-dee-doo coming back from my extended weekend...My strongest (and most tenured) QA Engineer is leaving. What a great way to start off the (half) week! Luckily I wasn't (directly) responsible for her decision...she really wanted to stay with our team, but she just got a really good opportunity elsewhere. So it got me thinking -- I gotta keep tabs on morale; get people excited to work for us, and truly understand, recognize, and support the motivations of my employees. And I have to buy into it too; people will not follow you if you yourself have not committed yourself (there goes that word again) to the cause. It's interesting how similar the military is with the corporate environment. Just imagine that...the ultimate in motivation: soldiers that believe 150% into what they're fighting for, that they would sacrifice everything -- even life itself -- in what they believe in. Now that, my friends, is motivation. Well, I do wish her well, and totally support her in her future pursuits; I just have to figure out how to deal with the aftermath -- eek. They really don't pay me enough for this job. :)

On another note, there was a discussion on our company mailing list about "Life Coaches". I had no clue that they even existed. But sure enough, there's web. And it's interesting reading the various messages that people have posted during the discussion. My favorite:

Life will become much simpler, if you stop believing anything you do is critical, and decisions you take really make a difference in the long run. See, whatever you choose is what IS. Therefore it's always right. You don't look back at what would or could have been.


Damnit, these 7PM conference calls are really irritating. It's too late to make the trek home, so I have to veg at work. Decision time -- should I spend this 30 minutes on the golf balls or the sand? You know, I think I'll go shopping for some filters; and troll Craig's list for some used cameras; and read more about wine. Golf balls it is. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 8/10/2005 11:53 PM, Blogger DJ John said...

Nice choice. Keep that head down and elbow straight.

 
At 8/11/2005 4:53 PM, Blogger laragitara said...

i've heard of life coaches... what i'd really like is a personal assistant, or a housekeeper, or my own personal chef. heck, i'd be happy if someone just came to my house and did my laundry for me once a week...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home