Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Time and Tide

On the way to the Mejias' new digs in San Marcos earlier today, took a brief jaunt up Old Hwy 101 in Solana Beach. It wasn't too bad, with a decent onshore flow from the Pacific off to the left. But it was the typical San Diego marine layer, masking the blue sky and morning sun up above and keeping things a relatively boring dull gray. Regardless, it was nice motoring along the old coastline -- reminiscent of many a troubled post-midterm UCSD afternoon. Now that I think about it, I should've started out of North Parking just for shits and giggles. It's amazing how nothing has really changed in the old sleepy beach communities of Solana Beach, Leucadia, Encinitas. Lou's Records is still going strong, and that old taco shop is still there just down the street (I still haven't tried it after all these years).

So I was amazed at what my old friends have pulled off...a 4500 sq ft. home in the hills of San Marcos. Absolutely stunning. Nice inlay in the foyer, solid wood banisters, 5 bedrooms, a gorgeous master bath, and just an endless vast expanse of s-p-a-c-e. I'm quite happy for them, it seems like a great life. Both working for the school system, with months (yes, months) of time off each year -- a great way to raise a family. It was a nice couple of hours catching up with my kumpare and kumare. And so goes life in San Diego. I really ought to go visit more of my old friends; time is fleeting like sand blowing in the wind -- the next thing you know, it's 10 years later.

Also caught two movies this weekend: Super Size Me (really well done -- I've pretty much cut fast food out of my diet, but this movie just makes it sink in even more...can't believe his liver was damaged!) and 50 First Dates (also quite good -- a nice reminder of what it really means to truly love someone: to give everything that you have, everything that you are to one person, completely and without hesitation)

That caramel macchiato is really keeping me up late tonight. Even after 10 hours on the road. Gawd, 58 is so much tire-sliding, 2nd gear corner powering out, hot-air-blast-in-your-face, wide-open straights FUN!!!! Even the second time around. I need to go back again. One of the things that I really loved was when you're in the hills on the eastern section, with the road carved out of the side of the mountain, the wail of the open intake honk reverberates against the walls of the mountainside! And if you stop, and shut off the car, it's absolutely dead silent. No roar of civilation, nothing. Just the tick-tick-tick of cooling metal, the crunch of the dirt beneath your feet, and the howl of the hot wind blowing past your ears. Oh, and the occassional faint "moo" of a cow in the distance.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 4:39 AM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

Dude, thereĀ“s rice and tapa over here. Mucho sarap.

 
At 8/10/2005 4:45 PM, Blogger laragitara said...

reading "fast food nation" convinced me never to eat fast food again... except for in n out once a month.

 
At 8/10/2005 9:07 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Yet another book sitting on my list of things to read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home