Monday, July 04, 2005

Just Can't Get Enough.

Oh Lord
Won't you buy me
A Mercedes Benz
My friends all have Porsches
I must make amends

So I spent the better part of this morning uncluttering the mess that is my room. Purged a pile of now useless textbooks sitting in my bookcase (only 3/4 of them were able to fit in the recycling bin). The manager in me would normally be questioning such menial tasks and evaluating the ROI. If my burn rate is $XX dollars per hour, what am I doing wasting my time? But alas...there's a hidden value there that isn't obvious to the casual observer. It's only when you begin undertaking the activity that you realize the true purpose of such tasks...it's relaxing. Trying to find order in all the clutter -- travel books on this shelf; car books on that shelf; SCC issues over there; Maxim issues under here -- really helps refocus my thoughts and lets the truly unimportant stuff fade away. I mean, when it really comes down to it, will anyone really care about Test Design Specifications, headcount estimates and annual budgets in 5 years?

As I pulled textbooks off the shelf, I realize the futility of it all. Computer Architecture - all about instruction pipeling, pre-fetching, and all that crap. Modern Physics (3 books from the 3 different times I've taken that stupid class and failed) - let's see: Heisenberg Principle, time shifting and how someone ages faster when they travel near the speed of light as observed by someone in normal time (or some shit like that). Psh. Makes for great conversation at parties! Ha! And I think about all the energy that was expended to drag these books along for (oh jeez) what must be almost eight years now? ...there's all the effort to make the bookcase that holds 'em all. And all those times I've moved, lugging along these oh so precious purveyors of all conquering knowledge. Did I honestly believe that they'd be useful for me in the future? Sheez, I'm such a freakin' pack rat.

It's too bad libraries won't take textbooks...I was hoping that someone somewhere would be able to make something out of these things. Nevertheless, recycling bin it is. That reminds me...I gotta find that episode of Penn & Teller's Bullsh*t! aired a while back. Supposedly, they proved that recycling in fact depletes more resources than it saves and costs significantly more than landfills...and it's just the superior brainwashing abilities of a specific group of people that convinced us that recycling is good. It's frustrating sometimes how you could spend fifty bucks a month on some 200 channels worth of programming when at any given point only less than 1% is truly worthy of your time.

Break's over. Time to relax my soul some more and vacuum this (now roomier) abode of mine. MotoGP in less than 5 days!!! Woo hoo, can't wait!! Hopefully it won't be too much more crowded than World SuperBike was. I could just smell that sweet delicious smell of unburnt race fuel and flying race rubber...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 7/04/2005 4:23 PM, Blogger bev said...

maybe you can take them to salvation army...

 
At 7/05/2005 10:21 PM, Blogger sabrinasmom said...

have you tried half.com?

 
At 7/05/2005 10:40 PM, Blogger DJ John said...

Dude, I went to the GP races back in 89 at Monterey and had a blast. The burning fuel and exhaust smell, even though toxic, just smells so distinct. And those guys were flying, amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home