Saturday, June 25, 2005

Jus Hang Loose, Blood.

He stares into the steady stream of water flowing next to the ground beneath him. His broken reflection at times appears clearly, reminding him of where's he been and where he's headed. The stream, although calm now, hasn't always been as forgiving. He recalls a distant land when the now smooth and calm stream was a gushing tumultous body of water, carving an indelible mark through the harsh bedrock. When it was the best he could do to keep from getting sucked into its fury. He slipped a few times, finding himself carried along as it rushed into lands unknown. Luckly, as he reached out, he found something solid to grab on to for save haven until the storm subsided. And so now he looks onward, into the great unknown, wondering what awaits...a calm lake...or a waterfall, perhaps? A 300ft sheer drop into oblivion? Or that something which would put an end to all the restlessness and quell that never ceasing voice urging him to move on?

It's funny when I think back to what everyone said about me in high school; they were right -- I am so materialistic. To this day, I still manage to convince myself that I need all this excessive crap to keep me satisfied. But then if I get 'em, I'm not...it always ends up where I'm eventually bored with it, or I get distracted by something better that comes along and catches my eye. Could this be just a symptom of that big capitalism machine that has worked its magic since the day I first turned on a television set? Or is there something ingrained in my persona that urges me on in that relentless cycle of acquire/consume/dispose? Regardless, I just have this never ending fascination with stuff. Last night, I took Angelo's E34 for a spin. The car is a little tired, but I loved it! From the deep rumble of the single overhead cam straight six, to the harsh yet solid thunk of the door slam (keeping with the tradition of cold German engineering). Going around corners, the car felt much more lively than the 3500 pounds would suggest...well balanced, with no hint of understeer. I just couldn't get over how they managed to make the car feel light...something which has kept me hesitant from returning to mid-size 4 door sedans after selling that (rather) plump old Maxima. Oh, and by the way, spinning a 3800lb front wheel drive sedan doing 90+ on a freeway onramp is not a lot of fun.

And so now I'm back to that same place I was back in 1996, when I first fell in love with the E34 M5. Thank you, Angelo, for letting me fall into this trap. And thank you, Car & Driver, for convincing me ten years ago that some day I need to go out and get myself a 315hp super saloon, with its race-derived lopey-idle and 7000RPM redline and faster quarter mile time than a twin turbo Z.

Heh. I don't think I'll ever grow up.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

14 Comments:

At 6/25/2005 11:38 AM, Blogger R said...

I grew up once. I didn't like it much so I returned it. Rhoel.

 
At 6/25/2005 1:36 PM, Blogger Randy said...

growing up? what fun is that? if you can remain a kid and have fun but still maintain responsibility...that's where you wanna be. growing up is for old folks =)j/k

 
At 6/25/2005 9:06 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

You are welcome, and thanks for letting me drive your S2K, for a little car, it packs a lot of punch. But you're right, eventhough my car is more "experienced" I wouldn't trade it. I just love how it handles on the open road. Maybe someday I can afford to upgrade to an M5. But for now, my craving has been met.

 
At 6/26/2005 10:14 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

Oh yeah, no one really grows up, we all just grow old.

 
At 6/27/2005 1:11 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Oh, we never really grow up... If houses weren't so expensive here, I'd love to have this!

I loved my last two cars. They felt like personal roller coasters :-)

 
At 6/27/2005 10:41 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Ooooh...E46 M3. 8000RPM, Double VANOS, SMG. Better yet, try to smuggle one of these into the U.S. *Droooool*

 
At 6/27/2005 12:55 PM, Blogger R said...

I'm glad you guys are car dudes, nobody from kp likes to talk cars. Rhoel.

 
At 6/27/2005 3:33 PM, Blogger Mur said...

This is the TOTAL DUDE blog!

 
At 6/27/2005 5:27 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Uh...yeah!
Maybe I'll add try to get in touch with my feminine side in some future posts to balance out all the car talk. hahhahahah

 
At 6/27/2005 7:39 PM, Blogger DJ John said...

Enjoy it bud because then you'll be talking about which minivan has more room and more features, the Nissan Quest or Honda Odyssey. I love the V-tech in my Odyssey though, I can take kids off the line with it, with dj equipment in the back.

 
At 6/27/2005 7:48 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

You know how they say never say never? Well, I ain't neeeeeever gonna have a minivan. Never ever never. No way, no how. 2 kids max so that they'll fit in a 4 door turbo sedan. hehehehheh :)

 
At 6/27/2005 8:25 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

minivans are for geeks!!!!!

Yeah I said it, so what!

 
At 6/27/2005 11:06 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I think you posted about the E30. My uncle had a white M3, I think it was an 90 or 91? All i remember is that thing was fast when I took it for a spin. I was looking for the photo on my hard drive ;-P

I remember It had a radio (blaupunkt?) that you adjust the volume with the wave of your finger?

 
At 6/28/2005 11:19 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Oh man, I would love to get an E30 M3. Problem is racing one would be a tremendous drain on the wallet. A crate motor for one of those things is almost $10K! And it's constant upkeep (they also like to slosh oil away from main bearings during hard cornering). No, the SpecE30 is much more suited for my broke ass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home