Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sweet Nectar From The Gods

it's 2AM, I can't sleep, and I'm digging through my blogger account and realized that I had a few posts sitting in draft mode, one of them from 7/22/2006...


Ahhh, alcohol…you sweet elixir from the heavens. What magical powers you possess: the ability to make all things right; the wonderful prowess to transform those preconceived notions from ugly to “do-able”; the innate ability to make a twelve hour flight zoom by in an amazing hedonistic experience of gluttony and wretched excess..

Here I sit, soaring through the wild blue yonder in seat 22H at some 500+ miles per hour, twenty-four thousand feet above solid wet ground, on my third glass of cabernet (some cheap Napa valley concoction chosen by some United Airlines desk-jockey). Thank God for business class upgrades and the requisite alcohol companions: 2 glasses of Dewar’s finest, 3 glasses of some aforementioned cabernet, and 1 glass of port; not to mention a tummy full of filet mignon,
crab salad, and some weird quiche thingy.

It seems like ages ago, but only 2 hours earlier I was standing in line at gate G98 dreading the prospect of being stuck in middle seat 43B before popping into line and inquiring about my standby upgrade status. Spread on the desk in front of the incredibly busy employee, like lottery tickets to a mystical world, were the magical cards that granted access to a better life… “Ah, yes…here you are.” Thirty thousand frequent flyer miles was a small price to pay for the comfort and convenience of the plush pleasures that come with a business class upgrade.

Change… It’s interesting that last night’s dinner conversation at Meze’s centered on the whole notion of change. 2006 has definitely been a year of metamorphosis for me; taking quite dramatic leaps of faith in my life. Regardless of the pain I caused, of the pain I felt, and the multi-year repercussions of said actions, I don’t regret them…

“Everybody needs change to grow”

I wonder if years from now, when I’m old, gray and crusty, those unknowing people in my life realize the impact they’ve had on me. I wonder…

Wow…this liquor really hits hard at twenty four thousand feet.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home