Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy Holga Hazards

So I got back the pics from my new toy.
Some lessons learned:
  • Don't forget to focus.
  • Don't make blind guesses at metering. Bring one along or better yet, make educated guesses
  • Spend time composing shots instead of firing away blatantly. This ain't no digital camera.
  • Expired film is cool. (and cheap)
  • Definitely use the flash more, you get some cool effects.
  • Shoot more black and white neg
  • Lucky (unlucky?) me, my camera doesn't seem to have a lot of light leaks.
  • I wish there was more vignetting.
  • This is so much fun!!
Since when did things get so freakin' complicated? Printing black & white used to mean 2 settings: aperture and contrast. Fire away a test strip, choose the one you like, and print. Now on my scanner there's all this histogram crap, giving me too many options. So after mucking around for a freakin' hour through trial and error I end up with these variations (the top one is set to full auto).
I really need to take a class or read a book on all this digital stuff. Or hell, buy myself one of 'dem new-fangled Macs -- supposedly they'll magically turn everything I touch into works of art without breakin' a sweat. :)

I'm curious how the roll of slides turned out. We'll see tomorrow.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

9 Comments:

At 1/17/2006 1:31 AM, Blogger ojpt said...

i think you got it right in the second frame. i usually run my scanner in auto then worry about correction later.

 
At 1/17/2006 1:36 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

That's the problem, though. Each one has a different "feel" to 'em...and I don't think there's one that's necessarily "right" -- just the kind of feeling/emotion that you want to convey.

Regardless, I was trippin' out at how this thing could create creepy images. You'd never guess this was a shopping mall in Walnut Creek. :)

 
At 1/17/2006 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, drool drool drool...new macs. We fondled several of them at the Mac Expo this year. They're definitely worth getting in a year or two once the kinks have been worked out.

 
At 1/17/2006 9:10 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

I don't know if I can wait that long. :)

I just love their software, especially how it integrates with the OS. My only two problems are that I'd have to retrain myself on their keyboard idiosyncrasies, and price (you'd think that with Moore's Law and 20 years of PCs, things would only cost a dollar at this point)

 
At 1/17/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger bev said...

that's a scary-looking tree; very Blair Witch.

 
At 1/17/2006 12:14 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Cool, eh? And this is in the middle of a shopping center in Walnut Creek. :)

 
At 1/18/2006 1:22 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Eerie pic!

Are you using a tripod?, If so you can always use photoshop's HDR function :-)

BTW, how do you focus it?

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews of the macs. I think they wanted to limit the changes to the design of the case (since it works) and focus on the processor / software change.

I played with the intel macs and they are pretty fast. I'll just have to wait until photoshop is written to take advantage of it.

BTW, did you hear that MS is working with Apple to come up with a Virtual PC Universal Binary? :-)

 
At 1/18/2006 1:46 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Not using a tripod, strictly handheld stuff. The Holga is all about the point & shoot. For focusing, the lens has 3 icons on it: 1 person (3 feet), 3 people (6 feet), 7 people (9 feet) and mountains (infinity). Keep in mind it's a rangefinder, so your guess is as good as mine. This is a REALLY fun camera!

Man, that HDR stuff looks like so much work. I guess if you do this for a livin' it's worth it. But for me playing with this as a hobby? I'll pass.


I can't stand Microshaft. Can't keep their dirty little fingers out of anything once it gets popular -- Wordperfect, Lotus 1-2-3, Intuit Quicken, Netscape Navigator, Virtual PC. What a bunch of jerks. :)

 
At 1/18/2006 4:13 PM, Blogger laragitara said...

haunting pics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home