Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Land Of The Setting Sun



I really miss sunsets at the beach.
I don't think I've ever watched one up here in the Bay Area.
I could rant off a thousand excuses on why that is so.
But the truth of the matter is that I've fallen into the trap of daily life:

Wake up.
Get through the morning calls.
Binge on oatmeal
(and Sportscenter).
Weave through mid-morning motorists on the Nimitz.
Churn away at work.
Hustle back to the house.
Force myself to work out.
Cook a quick dinner.
Get through the evening calls and churn away at more work.
Sleep.

It's just that every now and then (quite possibly linked to some strange lunar cycle or the wussie angst filled soft adult contemporary music that I'm listening to) I reminisce about the rays of yellow-orange warmth battling the darkening sky, the foul smell of a receding tide filling the cooling late afternoon air, the brownish muck wrapped around the tiny three pronged feet of little hurried birds scavenging the wet sand, and that fading sound of millions of gallons of salty brine crashing against the rocks... I recall the strange soothing effect this all had on my troubled psyche, easily dispelling (distracting?) me from all those foolish stupid mistakes we all make as humans... Like never saying the right words until it was too late. Or saying all the wrong words. Or missing out on a $100 IPO. Or thinking that you could be/do/have
SO
MUCH
MORE

I guess it's never too late to change....there's plenty of places up here to enjoy a 20 minute break from the realities of being trapped in a life of mediocrity. Yeah, sunsets at the beach really aren't all that they're cracked up to be. You get sand in your shoes, the water smells stinky, and there's a bunch of mosquitos.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home