Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Cursed." Or: Stupid Things You Should NOT Do In The Kitchen

I think my kitchen is cursed...First the exploding baking dish, and now this:

With my brother in town, I figure we'd have sauteed pork chops for dinner. So, like I always do in the past, I pull out the big heavy cast iron skillet, turn the stove to "Hi" and let it sit there. I let it sit. And sit. And sit. It gets white hot, but I'm busy chopping onions for the red wine reduction sauce. So I let it sit some more. It's there twice as long as I usually put it on there, but I figure the hotter the better! When ready, I slice a couple of pats of butter and throw them in there...

Bad Move.

They start smoking like a V8 in an old El Camino after getting a SeaFoam treatment....plumes of white smoke instantly fill the kitchen.

The fire alarm goes off.

I try tilting the pan to spread the butter around, but one of them pops with a loud "bang" and hits me in the arm. I'm staring at these little pats of butter, watching the neat streams of white smoke pour out from them (how could a 1.5" square of fat generate so much smoke?), and then it happens...

The skillet bursts into flames.

Not one to panic, I ignore the fire extinguisher on the floor next to the stove (I really like my skillet!!) and reach for a cover. I throw the lid on it and put out the flames. Thinking that the worst is over and I could *finally* throw those big thick juicy pieces of pork on there, I lift the cover and it's fine.

For about 30 seconds.

And then "poof"...more flames. With the bright yellow fingers of fire reflecting in my eyes, I abort the mission by replacing the cover and waiting. I switch to another pan. And finish the dinner.


Cursed, I tells ya.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

At 9/20/2007 8:23 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Time to get your house blessed. Someone is after you...

 
At 9/20/2007 9:57 PM, Blogger bev said...

Hmm...are you sure it's safe for you to be having a BBQ?

 
At 9/20/2007 10:20 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Just stand a little farther from the grill than you normally would. :)



You know what? I know what it is! It's all those freakin' spiders! They're angry at us for killing off all their friends this past month and are plotting revenge...

 
At 9/21/2007 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or perhaps you need some product training...visit your local crate and barrel and get some info. hehe. or cooking lessons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home