Wednesday, September 05, 2007

It pays to read

After having such a wonderful Labor Day weekend cleaning and working on cars (ah, the joy of having a garge!) I decided to treat us to a nice halibut dinner. Looking to my trusty Fish: The Basics book, the recipe called for broiling: highest heat possible, with the fish as close as possible to the top of the oven. So I poured some cheap white wine to a depth of an eighth of an inch in the glass baking dish, set the fillet on top, and stuck it in the oven.

About five minutes into the cook, I realized I had forgotten to baste the fish with some butter. And there was a weird funky smell emanating from the oven...no matter. So my face gets hit with a furnace-like blast of heat as I pop open the oven door (mental note: don't stick your face near oven when you open door). And I reach in there with my neat-o black Neoprene oven mitts. Grab the dish and proceeded to take it out and place it on the stove. But it never makes it...

With a loud "pop" sounding like someone dropping a 50 pound sledgehammer on a car window, the dish (literally) explodes into a billion glass fragments. They all rain down across the stove top and the oven door, with my poor little (expensive) piece of fish plopped on the stove filled with glass. Luckily, we escaped major injury. But that fish was done. What a way to end a weekend: more cleaning. I was too much in shock to think about taking any pictures, but just imagine a bunch of smoke-colored glass covering a black stovetop and all over the open oven door, with yours truly standing in disbelief with his black neoprene gloves on.

The next day I was rereading the recipe and it states: "place the fish skin side down in the metal pan".

Right.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 9/07/2007 7:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

yo...that you're all settled, let's have dinner sometime! you can come over or we can go over. --ecruz

 
At 9/07/2007 9:50 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Definitely! We were gonna walk over this past Monday, but man...too many things to do! I'll give y'all a call later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home