Friday, June 09, 2006

666

So it hit me a day late. It being the number of the beast, not the number signifying luck in the Chinese culture.

After over 20 years in front of a computer, after a handful of catastrophic disk failures, after experiencing second-hand the tragic loss of data by many of my compatriots, and after going through & reading about many other strange incidents... I still managed to lose a bunch of data because I didn't back up my shit. This time, four months worth of personal e-mail. Lost. Forever. To the great big magnetic ether in the ionic sky.

GAH.

And I only have myself to blame...
  • for trying something absolutely stupid taking a snapshot or using a safety net
  • for using Ctrl-X instead of Ctrl-C when rearranging my files -- disk space is CHEAP!!
  • for doing stuff late at night when I'm not thinking straight
  • and worst of all...for making my existence so dependent on billions of itsy-bitsy microscopic ones and zeroes desperately clinging onto a furiously spinning magnetic platter.
Oh how I long for the day when I can finally let go of this unhealthy addiction to my beloved computer, with its comforting howl of power supply fans and the tantalizing glare of a liquid crystal display...

...I envision a cataclysmic revolution of epic proportions, a day when we all join together and finally break free from these silicon-infested shackles, tossing our Thinkpads, Precision M20s, MacBook Duos, Nanos, Treos, RAZRs, 20Ds, into one big glorious toxic fireball that singes our nosehairs and scorches the sky...


In the meantime, I'll go watch some videos on YouTube.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

At 6/09/2006 10:46 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

Unplug from the Matrix!!
:-)

 
At 6/09/2006 12:01 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Man, it must be the alignment of the stars or something. Just the other night I did a massive DVD backup of all my photos and also copied them to my external drive just because I've been seeing so many others with issues.

So weird that I was just talking about backing up in my blog. I feel you man.

 
At 6/10/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger ojpt said...

Same thing happened to me at work two weeks ago. Something, probably a virus, wiped my hard drive clean.

3 months of work was sitting in My Documents at the time. Dumb!

Now I store everything on a share like a smart person.

 
At 6/10/2006 7:18 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

I haven't had a problem like that on my Mac,....yet. (knock on wood).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home